• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Noobs Guide To Landmines

i0nwr1t3r

Hi all,
It appears some of the newer players may need a little advice about landmines & it probably wouldn't hurt for some of the more experienced players to read it too (even if it just to add their perspective!).

So here goes,Landmines on this server are always RED or BLUE Flags about knee high on the ground (RED for Axis ,BLUE for Allies).

Oppositions mines are not visible to players with Battle Sense below 4 (Rank of Major?) look in the bottom left corner of screen between weapons proficiency & current class proficiency (middle column of that square) if you have enough battle sense they will appear as little white circle's (1 for each landmine).

Ng's (Engineers) are subject to being killed by mines from BOTH SIDES, so if you do not know how to jump over a Landmine & cannot run around it go in another direction or DO NOT PLAY an Ng !!!

Covert Ops in Disguise are also subject to the same restriction as Ng's last time I checked but this may no longer be current,so ask or check for yourself.

If you ARE NOT in the above CLASSES you can run over YOUR OWN TEAMS Landmines as much as you want with no harm or penalty but OPPOSITIONS Landmines will still KILL YOU !!!!

If you should set-off a landmine & die,don't file a complaint against the Ng who planted it unless it was OBSTRUCTING the exit to your own spawn & could not be SAFELY BYPASSED or an alternative spawn exit found, if it is in the field & you don't see it or even if you do & you still die that is not the Ng's fault,just remember the location where it happened in the event another landmine is placed there & take care not to make the same mistake.

If you set a landmine off just type V45 (sorry) so the Ng knows it was an accident & is aware if it needs to be replaced,(if you disagree with the placement of the landmine,TELL THEM/SHOW THEM WHERE IT SHOULD GO or in worst case scenario go Ng yourself & INFORM THEM you are RE-ALLOCATING THEIR LANDMINE ,but always give them the opportunity to do it themselves FIRST !!!).

If you are forced to RE-ALLOCATE an Ng's landmine,REMEMBER any kill from it will be credited to the person who planted it LAST but if you are diffusing & then replacing all your other teammates mines with your own in the same spot to STEAL THEIR KILL this is KILL STEALING (Taking credit for a kill that was someone else's work) & don't be surprised if they if they kill you in retaliation.(They might get kicked for it but the satisfaction should justify it).

How To REMOVE LANDMINES

If you are an Ng

Press 5 & you will get a pair of PLIERS,left click to use them & get close enough to diffuse the Landmine (HOLD DOWN LEFT CLICK until mine disappears or BOOM!!!)
This option is good for a small number of individual mines,NOT a LARGE VOLUME of them(Takes far too long & you are vulnerable while diffusing them unless you have some covering you while you are working).

If you are a Covert Ops

Press 7? to bring up binoculars & stare at mines by holding down left click until they are no longer white (this is called spotting landmines & will make enemy mines visible to all members of your team).
This is for ANY VOLUME of MINES & is much faster than an Ng can Diffuse if there are MULTIPLE.

Once they are visible,ANYONE can throw a grenade on them to blow them up but more importantly low level players will be able to see the mines also.(I think spotted mines make them dangerous to all opposition players but I haven't confirmed that).

Any mines spotted by a C.Ops will be visible to all your team members who are not close enough to eyesight it them selves by Pressing G,even if they are on the other side of the map.

Back to Ng's

To plant a landmine press 7 then you will be switched to pliers automatically hold down left click until it turns into a flag.
If you plant to close too another mine it will start too smoke(if mine starts smoking ,use pliers to diffuse it,it shouldn't go off unless you try to move away from it too early)& while you turn to this new problem it may cause the one you just planted to smoke also(keep calm & STAY STILL & use your pliers on them one at a time).

If you see an oppositions mine (if your battle sense is level 4) & it is in the way of your team to reach somewhere useful on the map,IT IS YOUR JOB TO DIFFUSE IT,but if fighting has moved passed that area of the map & the oppositions mines are still there LEAVE THEM,they will have less mines to use against your team when they really need them & nothing P1SSES off an Ng more than being forced to risk their @SS through lost territory to RETRIEVE mines for future use in the map.

REMEMBER, each team has only 12 mines PER SIDE for the duration of the map,whether you have 1 Ng or your whole team are Ng's,so think about where you place each one & make it count!!! because you will not get one back unless it has been set off or diffused.

When you are planting mines you are subject to getting Backraged (ie SHOT IN THE BACK)so check the coast is clear before you start planting & remember DEFEND yourself FIRST then worry about Ng's task's cos DEAD Ng's can't help the team & if you have sound turned on, LISTEN,sometimes you can hear the opposition coming & it could save your life.

Whether you are planting or diffusing if an opposition comes along & you have time to switch to a weapon DEFEND YOURSELF,if you think you have No CHANCE whatsoever of surviving the encounter,FINISH planting the mine you may still get your revenge with that even if you die doing it/if diffusing don't finish diffusing ,switch to weapon & shoot back,if you survive THEN finish diffusing ,if you die (and this applies to all players who are lying on a mine)DO NOT PRESS SPACEBAR ,wait & see if they run past or near you then press spacebar & it will kill them too & opposition Ng who planted it will be credited with a TK (Killing your own team member)but more importantly,that's 1 less player who can attack your team (& it is genuinely funny to watch :D)

Don't do the above if your own team are too close ,& don't let any Medic try to revive you while you are lying on a mine,they will die trying to save you.

You can also push an Ng or anyone onto an opposition mine to kill them or an Ng from your own team onto his own mine(but if they survive they will get P1SSED at you)& it may well get you kicked for team bleeding.

There is more you can do with mines but this is supposed to be a NOOBS guide after all.

To all Feel free to reply or post visual aids,Mods Feel free to sticky this thread.

Sorry to all about such an epic post :D

Cheers

i0n

i0nwr1t3r

Sorry for the addition, 2 things

1) Mines cause splash damage so many players can be killed by one mine,so don't run too close together or you all cop it.

2) If you see HIGH LEVEL players or Ng's all jumping over the same spot,you should probably jump there too if you cannot go around!

Antagonist

lol... your about 4 years to late fella.. nice effort tho..
you forgot that engies can swap charge by passing un laid mines to each other. (ie Engie A needs some charge quick for a plant both engies have about 1/2 charge engie B throws out a mine and engie A pliers it to receive the charge) superseded trick on today's servers tho..

nelots

Antagonist said:
you forgot that engies can swap charge by passing un laid mines to each other. (ie Engie A needs some charge quick for a plant both engies have about 1/2 charge engie B throws out a mine and engie A pliers it to receive the charge) superseded trick on today's servers tho..
Probably something worth noting on other servers but on OZ almost everyone's a level 4 everything and the charge times are almost instant.

i0nwr1t3r

Antagonist said:
Thanks,post was in reply to self-packing QQ'ers thread. :D

LOL,the Encyclopedia of mines was getting slightly long,thought I would cover as much as I could remember though :)

Fraggle

I believe you forgot the most important rule of planting mines....

1. Make sure you plant you mine where the enemy is going to passover.

In saying that it is always good to play both teams and assess where you would run.

eg: whilst playing "Oasis" as "Allies" you need to run throught the tunnels, so as an
"Axis" mine the tunnels!!

:rnade:

Frogma

Additional: mine kills are 4 times as satisfying as regular kills because of the monotony of placing them, the absence of any skill in doing so, the fact you'll only ever kill uncoordinated noobs or drunks/stoners, and the fact that it actually feels more like a job than playing a game.

as you were..

Overmars

ET Moderator
It's delayed gratification. Makes me smile each time I hear those rambo meds splode trying to get ammo on Goldie ... or the noob running next to your nemesis trips a mine and takes them both out ... or you take out the same person over, and over, with the same mine ... you just have no imagination.

i0nwr1t3r

Frogma said:
Additional: mine kills are 4 times as satisfying as regular kills because of the monotony of placing them, the absence of any skill in doing so, the fact you'll only ever kill uncoordinated noobs or drunks/stoners, and the fact that it actually feels more like a job than playing a game.

as you were..
As I said Earlier

i0nwr1t3r said:
post was in reply to self-packing QQ'ers thread. :D
This is a NOOBS GUIDE so say something constructive that will help a NOOB in the USE or REMOVAL of LANDMINES or go & write a thread about a DIFFERENT SPECIALIZATION.

STAY ON TOPIC PLS ,don't hijack a thread just to spout opinions that will NOT HELP A NOOB.

blusky

One thing I always see newb engies doing is defusing BADLY placed mines from the other team.

If the opposition has left badly placed mines which your team can easily avoid then don't defuse them because it's one less mine they have for placing elsewhere.

Furthermore, from actually thinking about it, why aren't mines able to damage all classes? It makes it so easy to defend/attack with mines because you don't have to worry about team mates. Why not have it default?

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-blusky said:
One thing I always see newb engies doing is defusing BADLY placed mines from the other team.

If the opposition has left badly placed mines which your team can easily avoid then don't defuse them because it's one less mine they have for placing elsewhere.

Furthermore, from actually thinking about it, why aren't mines able to damage all classes? It makes it so easy to defend/attack with mines because you don't have to worry about team mates. Why not have it default?
Easy to attack / defend with mines? On a server where only newcomers are not the rank of Major or higher (with exception of regulars with new installs) & everyone can see them?

High level players who cop mines are killed by carelessness or bad luck (unless pushed onto one) or simple error in judgement.

If you can still get a kill with something that was visible to the victim,that's either lucky or you're doing something right!

G-Train

I sometimes enjoy playing dead on a landmine and slash just as the enemy engy comes to defuse and replace it :lol:

Also, pro tip from Bluskie, if mines are in a stupid spot, leave em be.

Frogma

i0nwr1t3r said:
This is a NOOBS GUIDE so say something constructive that will help a NOOB in the USE or REMOVAL of LANDMINES or go & write a thread about a DIFFERENT SPECIALIZATION.

STAY ON TOPIC PLS ,don't hijack a thread just to spout opinions that will NOT HELP A NOOB.
lol alright, alright. How about... if you die and happen to have your ungibbed corpse land on a mine, don't tap out until an enemy runs near you so that you can explode the mine and take him with you..?

Trigger Happy

How about the old switcheroo trick. If an engy dies and taps out near an objective, steal his uni and do the objective instead of calling we need an engineer! like a thousand times.

Cheers

Frogma

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
How about the old switcheroo trick. If an engy dies and taps out near an objective, steal his uni and do the objective instead of calling we need an engineer! like a thousand times.

Cheers
But then you'll be an engineer and everyone will think you're gay.

nelots

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
It goes without saying that you /kill before anyone sees you in another guys clothes.
Cheers
There's always a perv in the bushes filming everything. Sooner or later there will be links to youtube clips posted everywhere so frog will never switch soiled undies with anyone other than noobitup because he wears them lacey crotchless stuff!!!