• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

OZ Sydney based

JoKeR

Can we switch the oz server to that other Sydney one? It seems to have alot less lag and better ping for everyone.

Joke :D

the only problem is that BR's spent a shitload on this new server and owns the thing, so epic waste of money..

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Joke :D said:
the only problem is that BR's spent a shitload on this new server and owns the thing, so epic waste of money..
Here are the disadvantages to moving to that server

- No multiple ET servers - so only etpub server (no more tj mod, etpro)
- No TF2 server, for the community of TF2 we have.
- No more any server we want for any game or service.
- No more dedicated file hosting speeds.
- No more hlstatx for TF2.
- Removal of easy customization and accessibility to the servers for those that have it and keep it updated.
- There a bit more stuff but that stuff probably won't matter to most people but it helps adminning the servers a lot easier, such as no custom oz etpub build. So no more pants, custom banning system, cvar restrictions and list goes on for a bit.

To be honest, at the end of the day, I would like the serer to be in sydney however cost wise, for the same price what we have now. It would cost us (to have the dedicated server in sydney) $320-$350 a month (and thats THE cheapest of all deals of dedicated servers). Instead of teh $170 which we are just managing to keep stable currently. Saying that if we JUST have the etpub server hosted by another company is sydney then the disadvantages above would be in action and it would cost a bit less, but I feel it would be taking a big step backward, they also don't allow any .script files so, customization with fueldump, oasis, battery would not be in effect either. Just a few things to take on board, of which I have and the reason I haven't moved yet otherwise I probably would have.

I realise it's a very big "why i don't want to move" thread, however, I feel its best if everyone gets the whole story instead of the 2 bit bash of "moving to sydney". In saying that I appreciate you bringing up the thread Joker as I have now had a chance to explain the situation and my reasoning for this currently.

Remember also that slightly elevated ping really doesn't make too mcuh of a difference in game, and from Sydney to Brisbane is only a 20ms difference. It really doesn't affect your ability in game play. So ping in this case really doesn't matter. However, with 200+ ping, it obviously will or a bad connection with packet loss.

The "lag" issue is one which is quite odd and after much research we found that our upload speed on our server was being limited. That has now been uncapped again. The next issue which arose was a trojan found in svchost on our server, which has also been removed now which was elevating the cpu usage to over 70%. The last issue I believe is to be found in the etpub mod itself and doesn't always occur, so heavy testing and debugging is taking place as I write this to investigate where it is coming from and once it is identified it can be resolved and it should be 100% lag free from there.

Hope this enlightens everyone, I tried explaining things in here if you have any other questions I am more then happy to answer them.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
JoKeR said:
YEA WTF IS WITH PPL FROM WELLINGTON'S PING??????
Well since this post, it's good to see your pings are back to normal and solid NZers :). If any problems occur please pm me. I'm glad we have pulled through this lag issue. We have pin pointed all issues and we promise to ensure you get all MUCH LESS DOWN TIME ON THE SERVERS and THE LOW SOLID PINGS you are getting now :)

Kind Regards, BR