• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Poor defense/Objective rights

Thundercracker

Good to see you're back on topic. You're entitled to your opinion and i'm not just going to do the same as you and say you're just mad and what you said makes no sense. I think you're over simplifying and claiming that things like panzerfaust, artillery and landmines are "lotto weapons" what ever that means (I assume you mean they are for the majority based on chance). Clearly anyone who has played ET knows panzerfaust and rnade are not based on chance, and a good landmine defence takes a lot of planning and the engineer will not be able to hang back except in a very large game. Artillery you can't just always fire it from you're own spawn, you have to either fight your way to where you can get a good marker or sneak through. The argument is about classes, in any respect, and not simply the weapons. The part where you implied they were hanging back "taking pot shots" would imply a defensive team whereas we know the majority of players will play for the objective and if they play 50% of the time on each team then they will be attacking at some point and can't hang back. A panzerfaust can be a very good support weapon for an attacking team since it arguably offers more mobility than the mobile MG42. Like I described with artillery (field OPS), someone who wants to get frags is not always able to hang back and will have to fight with the SMG as well. Indeed all classes can use an SMG and in a lot of cases an engineer will do better with an SMG. As a whole those classes you were referencing, who are trying to utilise those methods, are sacrificing the increased HP of a medic, no regen, no ability to heal themselves and the extra "lotto" defence from explosive damage. You could even argue that reviving a player and hiding behind him while he's invulnerable is another ability of medic :p. Even the fact that with battlesense 3 they will be able to fill up their extra 15 at spawn where as other players won't always get that unless a medic drops it is another HP advantage (not talking about OZ mod here)! Either way the only thing I would say is purely "lotto" is the passive probabilistic defence that medics have from explosive damage where they have a probability of surviving explosions at certain ranges. This is what I was discussing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when I talked about a TDM mode of the game (since death match was brought up). You would have to factor in all the strengths of a medic when fighting with light weapons (even against explosive weapons!) when deciding what is balanced in a mode where there is no objective and it's all about fragging and I would argue in that case it's less about the teamwork since there's no objective. If you look at those 4 strengths of the medic I discussed you can begin to see why I don't think medic is the pinnacle of skill especially when it comes to light weapons fights (SMG) since the advantages given to them almost guarantee in an evenly pitched battle between a non-medic and medic.

I can see why your ideas about ET have been warped especially if you spend the majority of time on the OZ mod. In the OZ mod things have been perverted and the ability of field ops to call in artillery and airstrikes has been gimped along with the panzerfaust charge (can't remember if that's still true you guys change it all the time). Couple that with the rules against HW SK and arty/airstrike SK, and because of these reasons, in some ways the medic class has been allowed to dominate. The only thing they put in to counter-balance their changes was to add 2 packs to fall out of a medic after they die, but like I described before they have a lot of advantages that help them kill their opponents the majority of the time and so that won't always be of benefit to non-medics, especially given the fact they have to run over and get them which not only makes a noise but can make them vulnerable. I'm really against the molestation of the ET mod perpetrated by the OZ mod and you made a thread about things getting boring due to the maps and it maybe being the cause of players leaving. Why not try getting rid of all the weird rules, the XP save and running the classic campaigns again! I'd suggest running ETpro as well to get rid of the hitbox problems but I like the way etpub deals with /killing so it's hard. You could just make a /killing rule :). One thing to be careful of is the fact that in the campaigns maps like radar and oasis are designed to be played first (before field ops gets signals level 3) since they have massive choke points. That's one thing that people did wrong with those 10 map campaigns. They instead should have made a 6 map campaign instead that was staggered.

I was trying to be concise with my first post but I wanna say I really didn't want to offend you joker but I really hate lies and I felt your comments were dishonest, otherwise I would have been happy to let you have your opinion. Sorry if I caused you any offence. I'm not out to get you, it's just I feel even if ignore you and keep my mouth closed you feel the need to say something to me and as I said I despise the lies. Now you know how to push my buttons :)

the fact that I think I'm gods gift to ETPub.
It reminds me of this

I hope you can laugh about that. :cigar:

Take care.

CowsWithGuns

Administrator
Staff member
Quite interesting the discussion of classes. Keep it civil and give us moar popcorn!

Pssst... no one has mentioned map knowledge & its effect on using any of the classes effectively.... no point planting landmines where no one goes...

blusky

theres all this text im reading and there doesn't seem to be any point. thundercracker can u use dot points pls

Ulti

O and BTW Engie is by far the most Dominant class on OZ atm hands down.. def not medic..
need to make mines visible with level 4 again to bring back the balance tbh

Last edited:

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
I beg to differ, the other night it was 1 engy and 6 medics per team , the game was successfully going nowhere fast.

Thundercracker

So glad to see OZ hasn't gotten boring yet. I remember when bain did the same thing to wuzz , and the funny part was, bain kicked me at least 2 times just because he thought I was wuzz's friend! ha ha. That was 'cause u were giving up ciggies, here have a cigar bain and chill :cigar:

I talked to lessman btw, he wanted to install ET on his laptop but I haven't heard from him in a couple of months.

McBain!!

Ah the dark days of quitting cigs, I even went off at Milhaus and G-Train in my withdrawal induced rage. Still have the odd one or two when I have a beer which sux. Might try those e-cig things I saw on Letterman..

I miss Lessmen