• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Why is ET so enduring?

fishtank

So RTCW ET is 7 years old now and Im still loving it, as are clearly, many others. My question is; what is it about ET that makes its so timeless? Many other online FPS have come and gone, including ET quake wars, various flavours of Unreal Tournament, Battlefield, Counterstrike etc.. But what other shooter of ET's age can still boast the amount of players still tearing it up on its servers, yes, even on original maps.

Is it the fact that it was one of the first team/objective based shooters, and therefore isnt overcomplicated, with the barriers to entry that a player sees in more modern shooters? Is it the fact that despite this relative simplicity there is still heaps of depth in the gameplay, that an organised team of good players will always OWN a team of lone cowboys? Is it the lovely balance of weapons? The simple yet satisfying XP system? The fact that now it will run at 90 FPS on a sub 1000$ PC? The fast responsiveness of the quake engine? The subtle humour of Quick Chat? The 100s of user created maps? The excellent mods? I could go on for ages.

Really Im just wondering if you guys ever ponder why you still play ET when there are so many other shooters out there that are more modern, glamorous and detailed. I know that some of you probably do play other shooters, but you wouldnt be reading this on this forum unless you were seriously into ET.

Thoughts?

(FKQ)Thompson

I would have to say its the shooting that does it for me. In most shooters there is a a circle area in the crossairs of which the bullets spray around in. But in ET there is a single dot where the bullet goes. It makes getting headshots more of a challenging rather than just aiming in the direction of the head.

The movement is also more responsive that most games.

blusky

Other FPS are crap. Cod sucks. Even though et has bad graphics I just find it sooooooo much more appealing than any other FPS. You actually have to aim in ET. Pub play is pretty much mediocre but it's competitive 6v6/5v5 where ET really shines.

ET is dead in AUS but in Europe it's still booming.

fishtank said:
that an organised team of good players will always OWN a team of lone cowboys?
Not true.

fishtank said:
The 100s of user created maps? The excellent mods?
Most of the maps are awful, I guess you'd get that from any game though.
The only mod worth mentioning is ETpro - the rest are terrible, and fall short in comparison.

blusky

-OZ-Sunncaeks said:
[quote="-OZ-blusky":3hal1dyr]Other FPS are crap. Cod sucks.
Except CoD2. MoH:AA SH was decent, too. But meh.

Gimme a bolt-action rifle any day.[/quote:3hal1dyr]

Death_Reincarnated

1) Graphically its simple and maps are not overcrowded with bushes, roads, trees, textures, clouds etc.
2) Gameplay and team work in terms of objective is/are simple.
3) Anyone with an old computer can play.
4) 128KB connection will suffice (IMO) for a full server gameplay, than what the new online multiplayer games require.
5) Aiming system is so simple yet you need skill to pop 3-4 headshots rather than one.
6) GUI is simple to navigate and chat/talk system is easy to use (just takes ages to learn those shortcuts of by heart).
7) Tweakability of the game is relatively easy and it offers lots of little changes to suit your gameplay style.
8) Its a free game.
9) Offers lots of mods to try out and makes the gameplay fun in the sense of not getting boring with the same maps etc. over and over again.
10) Did I mention ITS A FREE GAME?!

Sunncaeks

Death_Reincarnated said:
5) Aiming system is so simple yet you need skill to pop 3-4 headshots rather than one.

I guess it doesn't gain any points for reality. Lol.

fishtank

-OZ-blusky said:
Other FPS are crap. Cod sucks. Even though et has bad graphics I just find it sooooooo much more appealing than any other FPS. You actually have to aim in ET. Pub play is pretty much mediocre but it's competitive 6v6/5v5 where ET really shines.

ET is dead in AUS but in Europe it's still booming.

fishtank said:
that an organised team of good players will always OWN a team of lone cowboys?
Not true.

fishtank said:
The only mod worth mentioning is ETpro - the rest are terrible, and fall short in comparison.
I think saying most of the maps are awful is a bit hyperbolic and ungenerous. Sure some dont play as well as others but considering they arent usually made by professional level designers i think that many of them are relative masterpieces with some great design elements and real artistic merit. Sabre Peak comes to mind, Bridges, the one where allies have to complete about 5 objectives: fuel the bus, fuel the plane etc.. i sometimes just wander around looking at the scenery!

Bucket

-OZ-amacide said:
[quote="-OZ-Sunncaeks":1y1ir8km]
Gimme a bolt-action rifle any day.
+1

Of course the only weapon ET really needs added is....HEADBUTT! 100 damage? :lol:[/quote:1y1ir8km]

That would make the game very unfair for us Kiwis, only Aussies can headbutt :lol: :lol:

Messenjah

-OZ-blusky said:
fishtank said:
You are forgetting TJmod and ImageET!

I know this is not a mod but gamestv.org needs a mention. I have never seen a better shoutcast/replay watching service in any other game.

Frogma

(FKQ)Thompson said:
I would have to say its the shooting that does it for me. In most shooters there is a a circle area in the crossairs of which the bullets spray around in. But in ET there is a single dot where the bullet goes. It makes getting headshots more of a challenging rather than just aiming in the direction of the head.

The movement is also more responsive that most games.
Nailed it for me. Also it's alot faster than other fps' and you can move while shooting rather than gay crouch-shooting all the time.

Inglourious Basterd

For me its the movement and shooting style ( ETPro mod the best ) of the Q3 engine, also the class system for great team play.

Sure there are those other games with nice weapons and pretty scenery, but it feels like you're moving around with concrete boots on after playing ET.

fishtank

-OZ-blusky said:
fishtank said:
Sabre Peak comes to mind,
Playability >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Looks.

Sure Saber Peak is one of the best maps visually - it's still crap.
Blusky, honest question, even though there is probably a separate thread about maps, but which maps do you think have the best playability?

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, reason I can't give up ET is the lolz. I played QuakeLive for a bit after OGN died, but there was NO lols to be had from global chat. I tried to spark it up a bit from time to time, but got roundly zero bites to my baiting.

In ET people are mostly here for lols. The other nite when we were doing massive goombas on minas tirith was a great example. The whole obj went out the window and ppls were queuing up at the bottom to be splatted, while admins was firegodding us to get us up to the top. Then jah-jah kept pushing me off when I was lining up a goomba. epic stuff.

lolz > k/d.

noob.

blusky

fishtank said:
Blusky, honest question, even though there is probably a separate thread about maps, but which maps do you think have the best playability?
In terms of competitive play,

Radar, braundorf, goldrush, supply, sp_delivery, oasis, bremen.

However they still work quite nicely on pubs with 32 players.

Trigger Happy

-OZ-noobItUp said:
Meh, reason I can't give up ET is the lolz. I played QuakeLive for a bit after OGN died, but there was NO lols to be had from global chat. I tried to spark it up a bit from time to time, but got roundly zero bites to my baiting.

In ET people are mostly here for lols. The other nite when we were doing massive goombas on minas tirith was a great example. The whole obj went out the window and ppls were queuing up at the bottom to be splatted, while admins was firegodding us to get us up to the top. Then jah-jah kept pushing me off when I was lining up a goomba. epic stuff.

lolz > k/d.

noob.
Yep the community is what keeps ET alive along with the gameplay. The majority of the regulars you see on OZ today have been around playing together since node and optus days hopping from one server to the next. Pub players play for the lols and good times, pro players play for the rage and the KD.

Cheers