• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Headset vs headphones & stand alone mic?

nelots

Re: Heaset vs headphones & stand alone mic?

Ion - if that crappy zalman mic sucks for you, I suggest you find a soundmax superbeam array mic by Andrea Electronics. It is the best stand alone mic by far and should only set you back $10 max.

G-Train

I just got a Creative Fatal1ty for $ 40.

It is the most comfy one ive tried, plus the mic is detachable.

Highly recommended.

i0nwr1t3r

Made it onto vent,apparently mic works :)

Cheers for the help guys :D

i0nwr1t3r

So my AD700's arrived today & OMFG do they look ghey or what!

I thought they were black & silver but it appears they sold me the old version?

They're like gold & purple!!!! WTF!!!,better sound awesome for $200 I paid for em'.

Will post after sound tests.

matilda

DerpLyfe

-OZ-i0nwr1t3r said:
They're like gold & purple!!!! WTF!!!
I warned you they were ugly! :twisted:

afaik they've always been that colour and they didn't give you old stock.

Don't worry, the sound is good.

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-matilda said:
[quote="-OZ-i0nwr1t3r":3lo69tu8]
They're like gold & purple!!!! WTF!!!
I warned you they were ugly! :twisted:

afaik they've always been that colour and they didn't give you old stock.

Don't worry, the sound is good.[/quote:3lo69tu8]

I should have put more study into what the product looks like. :twisted:

But the sound in music playback after several hours of testing multiple music styles is extremely ORSUM !!!

Will have to test ingame & on vent as well.

Was definitely a good call Mat. :)

Death_Reincarnated

The way audo technology has progressed you are better of looking into getting something that will be comfortable for you than having a device which has the bestest sound input/output and which would be made out of carbon fibre and other exotic materials/composites. Some people just want the dearest item available but all you really need is something that can send/receive sound at decent quality.

I really dont see the point of people buying $200+ headsets for gaming and the only reall benefit of having something that costly would probably be to muzzle out the outside noise but we all know that the volume you set your incoming sound to is loud enough to muzzle out the outside noise anyways.

Each person has the right to buy what ever they want but sometimes I find it that the most costly item is not the best, and items which would be half the price can be just as good. Why are headsets so dear anyways??? I have a feeling it must be the manufucturing side of things and the quality of the magnet and membrane...

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
Why are headsets so dear anyways??? I have a feeling it must be the manufucturing side of things and the quality of the magnet and membrane...
No, its more to do with the engineering side. The design of the coupling crap and also the composition of the materials used in production.
Cheap headsets are really made of sh!t, if you open them up, the components are literally rusty bits soldered together unlike the good stuff where they use real copper, gold and other premium conductive materials along with proper sound proofing foam and leather finishes for that new car smell and touch.
I don't know why you can't tell the difference because the cheap and premium headsets are worlds apart.

Trigger Happy

nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Why are headsets so dear anyways??? I have a feeling it must be the manufucturing side of things and the quality of the magnet and membrane...
No, its more to do with the engineering side. The design of the coupling crap and also the composition of the materials used in production.
Cheap headsets are really made of sh!t, if you open them up, the components are literally rusty bits soldered together unlike the good stuff where they use real copper, gold and other premium conductive materials along with proper sound proofing foam and leather finishes for that new car smell and touch.
I don't know why you can't tell the difference because the cheap and premium headsets are worlds apart.
The components and soldering etc all fall under manufacturing, not under engineering. KRIF designs are all the same engineering blueprint, it is just the parts they throw in that makes the difference.

Cheers

nelots

Some Awesome Guy said:
-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
The components and soldering etc all fall under manufacturing, not under engineering. KRIF designs are all the same engineering blueprint, it is just the parts they throw in that makes the difference.
Cheers
Actually the components fall under engineering, only the labour, manual stuff fall under manufacturing.
Anyway I was talking about the design blueprint which lies under engineering :p

Death_Reincarnated

In terms of general sound quality a $20 item can be as good as a $150 one. The components used do make the difference in situations where you require longevity when the item is constantly put through harsh conditions. I have had my $15 pioneer headphones now for over 2yrs and the sound is still crisp clear. Headsetss are made in a similiar fashion but I dont understand how this could inflate the price so much if you compare headphones and headsets...is it the ammount of material you use, the way its desiged and made, or because of the exotic materals/compounds used? Or perhaps because its not made in china? Its funnuy how decreasing the impedance in head/ear-phones means higher price lol.

Check this result (it compares headphones and headsets made by Pioneer) http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--111_He ... fs_560_e__

IMO you will get the same sound quality out of both except that headphones deliver a more comfy and luder sound in general through "better" materials used, via a more expensive method of putting it together.

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
In terms of general sound quality a $20 item can be as good as a $150 one. The components used do make the difference in situations where you require longevity when the item is constantly put through harsh conditions. I have had my $15 pioneer headphones now for over 2yrs and the sound is still crisp clear. Headsetss are made in a similiar fashion but I dont understand how this could inflate the price so much if you compare headphones and headsets...is it the ammount of material you use, the way its desiged and made, or because of the exotic materals/compounds used? Or perhaps because its not made in china?
If you bother to read the specs of each headset you'll notice the difference in terms of sensitivity, frequency response, impedence, power capability and etc.
The additional features such as bass boost, noise cancelling and etc are other dead give aways of the price differences.
Death_Reincarnated said:
Its funnuy how decreasing the impedance in head/ear-phones means higher price lol.
How is that funny? Lower impedance headsets are more efficient with consumer goods meaning the components are smaller which allows for additional features to be implemented on the device.
Death_Reincarnated said:
Check this result (it compares headphones and headsets made by Pioneer) http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--111_He ... fs_560_e__
Isn't it obvious that the price difference is due to the additional features for each headset?
I mean its common knowledge that the generic wired headsets will be the budget range, wireless headset will be mid-range and the wireless 5.1 headset will fit into the premium range.
Death_Reincarnated said:
IMO you will get the same sound quality out of both except that headphones deliver a more comfy and luder sound in general through "better" materials used, via a more expensive method of putting it together.
Find the worst mp3 player money can buy, use it with a cheap headset then swap it with a premium headset. If you still can't tell the difference then you obvious have an ear infection or some other nasty ear related problem.

Death_Reincarnated

nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
In terms of general sound quality a $20 item can be as good as a $150 one. The components used do make the difference in situations where you require longevity when the item is constantly put through harsh conditions. I have had my $15 pioneer headphones now for over 2yrs and the sound is still crisp clear. Headsetss are made in a similiar fashion but I dont understand how this could inflate the price so much if you compare headphones and headsets...is it the ammount of material you use, the way its desiged and made, or because of the exotic materals/compounds used? Or perhaps because its not made in china?
If you bother to read the specs of each headset you'll notice the difference in terms of sensitivity, frequency response, impedence, power capability and etc.
The additional features such as bass boost, noise cancelling and etc are other dead give aways of the price differences.
Afcourse these aditions would increase the price of the audio device but the general sound quality would still be decent and easily understood. You can have all of these extras but if were are talking about someone who is playing ET at home in their room, why bother?
nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Its funnuy how decreasing the impedance in head/ear-phones means higher price lol.
How is that funny? Lower impedance headsets are more efficient with consumer goods meaning the components are smaller which allows for additional features to be implemented on the device.
You dont get it do you? For me its funny that there is a relationship between impedance and price of an audio item. I dont expect you to understand that. Having low impedance items does not necessearly imply that you can add extra features to it, just because its smaller. It really depends on what the audio device is used for and what kind of Amperage is supplied through what kind of thick conductive cabling.
nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Isn't it obvious that the price difference is due to the additional features for each headset?
I mean its common knowledge that the generic wired headsets will be the budget range, wireless headset will be mid-range and the wireless 5.1 headset will fit into the premium range.
I find it that the price range is not just governed by the additional features but what is used in the item and if it has any new features, like the 5.1 surround sound which is ATM a brand new feature of a headset. I just wanted to compare the price difference between headseet and headphones, in that the headset are generally more costly yet all of the items provide good sound.
nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Find the worst mp3 player money can buy, use it with a cheap headset then swap it with a premium headset. If you still can't tell the difference then you obvious have an ear infection or some other nasty ear related problem.
Now you are adding another variable to this equation...why? Any headphone/headset speaker can provide decent sound as long as the item which is generating the sound can do it well. One thing you are forgetting though is the quality of sound; for a human 128kbps MP3 format is the basis of good quality sound, anything lower and you can start to hear the difference. Any kind of ear/head phone speaker can reproduce that sound clearly and its not necessary to buy items that cost $100+ to listen to sound when you can do it with the same quality as a $20-30 headphone for example. People want those extra features then thats ok but I know that its stupid to buy an expensive headset if the only thing I want from it is to listen to sound. I just increase the volume when im on the train...

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
Afcourse these aditions would increase the price of the audio device but the general sound quality would still be decent and easily understood. You can have all of these extras but if were are talking about someone who is playing ET at home in their room, why bother?
Obviously you don't know that majority of the time headsets are used for other purposes such as listening to music and watching videos. If you read the OP's responses he did say 90-95% of the time it wouldn't be used for gaming.
Also just because you don't have an idea of how materials work, generally the sound quality is far superior when driven by good conductive components which makes it more expensive.
Death_Reincarnated said:
You dont get it do you? For me its funny that there is a relationship between impedance and price of an audio item. I dont expect you to understand that. Having low impedance items does not necessearly imply that you can add extra features to it, just because its smaller. It really depends on what the audio device is used for and what kind of Amperage is supplied through what kind of thick conductive cabling.
Theres a difference between consumer and industrial goods and thats why low impedance in headsets will carry the higher price due to its compact nature allowing additional components to create a value-added device.
Death_Reincarnated said:
I find it that the price range is not just governed by the additional features but what is used in the item and if it has any new features, like the 5.1 surround sound which is ATM a brand new feature of a headset. I just wanted to compare the price difference between headseet and headphones, in that the headset are generally more costly yet all of the items provide good sound.
You do realize that headsets come with microphones and are targeted to that part of the consumer sector whilst headphones are for those anal about sound.
In saying that it's common knowledge that the components(ie: chipsets and circuits) used in headphones would be far superior to those used in headsets hence the price differentiation.
Death_Reincarnated said:
Now you are adding another variable to this equation...why? Any headphone/headset speaker can provide decent sound as long as the item which is generating the sound can do it well. One thing you are forgetting though is the quality of sound; for a human 128kbps MP3 format is the basis of good quality sound, anything lower and you can start to hear the difference. Any kind of ear/head phone speaker can reproduce that sound clearly and its not necessary to buy items that cost $100+ to listen to sound when you can do it with the same quality as a $20-30 headphone for example. People want those extra features then thats ok but I know that its stupid to buy an expensive headset if the only thing I want from it is to listen to sound. I just increase the volume when im on the train...
Another variable??? no, I am just adding a control item being the mp3 player, the only variables will be the cheap headset and premium headset.
Also consumers buy products for the entire package not just one aspect of the product so u do da maff!

Death_Reincarnated

nelots said:
Obviously you don't know that majority of the time headsets are used for other purposes such as listening to music and watching videos. If you read the OP's responses he did say 90-95% of the time it wouldn't be used for gaming.
Also just because you don't have an idea of how materials work, generally the sound quality is far superior when driven by good conductive components which makes it more expensive.
Havent you noticed how many gamers actually use headsets??? I dont use one but I sure have seen countless LAN players use headsets over headphones. I do know how materials work thank you very much; gold is the perfect conductor but since gold plating wires is good enough then why bother actually soldering gold wires onto PCBs and such? Its too expesnive but not because of its cost...more of the manufacturing side of things. Gold is quite maluable and it can easily break/snap as a wire therefore anything you believe that has gold in it is most likely gold plated rather than pure gold. The next best conductor is copper. The sound quality through copper is as good as through gold if you consider the general purpouse use but what you need to consider is what Amperage you apply to what kind of thickness cabling...therefore generally higher impedance speakers need higher Amperage to deliver the specified wattage output and can handle more curent. Headsets are able to deliver louder sound but require more "juice" but lowering the impedance of headsets you are able to have the best of both worlds (that is comfort and louder sound) although the materials used and manufacturing of them increases the cost but in the end the sound quality is the same as in headphones since both of these types of audio devices are manufactured in similar methods with similar materials.

nelots said:
Theres a difference between consumer and industrial goods and thats why low impedance in headsets will carry the higher price due to its compact nature allowing additional components to create a value-added device.
This mearly justifies my point that I made earlier of 'the lower the impedance the higher the cost' relationship (regardless of the additional features that you can add to the device or where its used).

nelots said:
You do realize that headsets come with microphones and are targeted to that part of the consumer sector whilst headphones are for those anal about sound.
In saying that it's common knowledge that the components(ie: chipsets and circuits) used in headphones would be far superior to those used in headsets hence the price differentiation.
Umm dont you mean the other way around about headsets and headphones? Headsets are larger than headphones hence the circuits used within allow for more functions to be added but because of the ammount of materials used and the way they are made, it inflates the price BUT both still can deliver good sound, its just factors such as materials, muzzling outside noise, extras, sound power output etc that affect the price and why headsets cost more than headphones.

nelots said:
Another variable??? no, I am just adding a control item being the mp3 player, the only variables will be the cheap headset and premium headset.
Also consumers buy products for the entire package not just one aspect of the product so u do da maff!
An mp3 player is what produces the sound in the first place by producing electrical pulses. If there are issues with the quality of those electrical pulses then any speaker will pick this up. You are adding another variable to the sound quality; dont do it. So who would buy $150 headset for their cheapa** MP3 player then??? Hence my point...why bother buying costly items to listen to sound when generally you can still get good quality audio sound through a pair of $20-30 headphones. If you want the extras then go for it, and some people are anal about it but its a waste of money unless you are a DJ or a producer with great hearing. All I need is a decent set of headphones to listen to those footsteps around the corner and such when i play ET. It is a waste of money for a gamer and for anyone eles who would use it for general use. The only thing I can say is that headsets are more comfortable than headphones after wearing them for some time but at least headphones look more compact when you are out and about.

So I have done DE MAFF and came out with this...P=V^2/R

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
Havent you noticed how many gamers actually use headsets??? I dont use one but I sure have seen countless LAN players use headsets over headphones. I do know how materials work thank you very much; gold is the perfect conductor but since gold plating wires is good enough then why bother actually soldering gold wires onto PCBs and such? Its too expesnive but not because of its cost...more of the manufacturing side of things. Gold is quite maluable and it can easily break/snap as a wire therefore anything you believe that has gold in it is most likely gold plated rather than pure gold. The next best conductor is copper. The sound quality through copper is as good as through gold if you consider the general purpouse use but what you need to consider is what Amperage you apply to what kind of thickness cabling...therefore generally higher impedance speakers need higher Amperage to deliver the specified wattage output and can handle more curent. Headsets are able to deliver louder sound but require more "juice" but lowering the impedance of headsets you are able to have the best of both worlds (that is comfort and louder sound) although the materials used and manufacturing of them increases the cost but in the end the sound quality is the same as in headphones since both of these types of audio devices are manufactured in similar methods with similar materials.
Gamers use headsets because it has microphones to talk with their teammates.
Copper is a good conductor, gold is better so theres the reason for the price difference since gold is worth more than copper.
Death_Reincarnated said:
This mearly justifies my point that I made earlier of 'the lower the impedance the higher the cost' relationship (regardless of the additional features that you can add to the device or where its used).
When you buy a product, you buy the whole package not just one aspect plus there is no need for high impedance devices for portable audio devices since they're powered by batteries.
Death_Reincarnated said:
Umm dont you mean the other way around about headsets and headphones? Headsets are larger than headphones hence the circuits used within allow for more functions to be added but because of the ammount of materials used and the way they are made, it inflates the price BUT both still can deliver good sound, its just factors such as materials, muzzling outside noise, extras, sound power output etc that affect the price and why headsets cost more than headphones.
Headset and headphone.
You've got it wrong, generally headphones are dearly than headsets because headsets aren't designed for quality sound output since their purpose is equivalent to telephone handsets.
Death_Reincarnated said:
An mp3 player is what produces the sound in the first place by producing electrical pulses. If there are issues with the quality of those electrical pulses then any speaker will pick this up. You are adding another variable to the sound quality; dont do it. So who would buy $150 headset for their cheapa** MP3 player then??? Hence my point...why bother buying costly items to listen to sound when generally you can still get good quality audio sound through a pair of $20-30 headphones. If you want the extras then go for it, and some people are anal about it but its a waste of money unless you are a DJ or a producer with great hearing. All I need is a decent set of headphones to listen to those footsteps around the corner and such when i play ET. It is a waste of money for a gamer and for anyone eles who would use it for general use. The only thing I can say is that headsets are more comfortable than headphones after wearing them for some time but at least headphones look more compact when you are out and about.
So I have done DE MAFF and came out with this...P=V^2/R
Are you an idiot??? oh wait nevermind......... the point was to test the sound from one control source.
Once again, not everyone uses their headsets purely on games, its all purpose hence they'll spend more on it because they can.
As for the comfort factor, yeah death cheap headsets lined with synthetic leather is going to be way more comfortable than the premium headsets lined with genuine leather stripped from the finest virgin calf straight out of its mothers behind.