• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Just use pb

woodhzbg

Instead of using the inbuilt anti cheat protection (punkbuster) you try to adhoc and willy nilly ban people and then have a workload created having to sort through the issues later. Your system is not better than the code scanning system that was written for the game. There are also new anti cheat systems that can be used.
I've of several people banned unfairly, without any form of irrefuteable proof.
I have seen people who are waaay too good at this game. At LAN events and things, just unreal. near perfect tracking and HS 1/4 shots all the time. No cheats whatsoever.

For example, if you get too many headshots, you are treated as if you are cheating.
If you kill an admin more than 3 times the !stats thing comes up. again and again. What is the message there i wonder?
Once you have played these maps 10000 times like most of us have, we know all the tricks. where to get kills. sometimes without looking. In some cases, i know where people will be running after my own spawn and at which time to prime a grenade.
Is that cheating?
PB says no. Admin says yes.
Its a little bit seat of the pants wouldnt you say?
My intention is not to have a dig. Its a good server and the community is solid and an asset to all those in it.
I simply think its a case of some people with "powers" justifying themselves a bit too much.

woodhzbg

there is also a difference between predatory heavy sk and using it in a fight... for example if you wait and fire a panzer in teh spawn door thats a bit shit.
But its crap to warn ban people for having a firefight inside/outside a spawn area with MULTIPLE openings. After nearly 20 seconds of dodging/ fighting with mp40 and losing, against 2 medics, then pulling a panzer and getting one of them...... but that gets you kicked.....
Even though its a fair fight.... 2 on 1...... still cant use a panzer. just must die. Or.... kill both by chance, get a few HS to do it.... and then get kicked for suspected hacking. LOL whats it gonna be
Not sure if anyone can see the difference in the scenarios.

lKITl

Fully AGREE, The OZ scrim team was made to use a program called SLAC, If this is good enuff for the ladder teams and organiser's why is it not good enuff for OZ.
As stated above why make more work than needed!

Synonym

Please feel free to continue your discussion of the fallacies of our ban system, however I will be moving this topic to a general discussion area.

This section is for appeals not threads related to the ban system.

Kind Regards,
Synonym.

i0nwr1t3r

The PB issue has been addressed in numerous threads already though Slac is another take on this in the same vain though this requires that you register an account with slac before your even allowed to play on a slac enabled server (discourages visitors who go elsewhere) when you just want a quick game on a random server , grab a map & start playing.

Your right about the extra workload generated by not using PB but the numbers of problems that come with using it are already documented throughout this forum.

The Heavy weapons rules I won't address in this thread as it certainly deserves a dedicated thread , so I'll start a separate thread for that ,so topic does not to lose focus.

Heavy Weapons SK rules.
http://www.etozclan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6589

Cheers

i0n

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
lKITl said:
Fully AGREE, The OZ scrim team was made to use a program called SLAC, If this is good enuff for the ladder teams and organiser's why is it not good enuff for OZ.
As stated above why make more work than needed!
As also supporting what I0n had mentioned not everyone will be able/ wants the hassle of setting up an entire extra program and then having problems that if that server goes down people can't play on the server. There's a reason it's not used on many server at all.

In Regards to that, I am looking into constructing an anti cheat etpub client without the requirment of PB. As well as that I am running a bunch of tests in a few nights with PB to see exactly where the issue will occur and perhaps can write a fix for those affected clients.

Regards, BR

Antagonist

interesting points bought up by all parties..... i agree with all of them (except that TF2 nub) id love to see policing of a few issues which could only be enforced by an outside program (pb and SLAC) but and forgive me as im not as hip as i used to be but... Doesn't PB absolutely lag the fuck out of your computer? but if thats been fixed i dont understand why we cant use it again?

SLAC will never work on a public server... its a competition enforcement mod, would never work well with random players

P.S BR can u tell those tf2 nubs to stay at there side of the paddock... cheers

lKITl

SLAC will never work on a public server... its a competition enforcement mod, would never work well with random players
Thats kool and i see how it may not work, but just throwing idea's out there.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
should try turning it on at least, won't cause a fire, it'd just be interesting to see what 'it' does and the reasons;
might catch some peeps out, ya never know :p

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
cccdfern said:
should try turning it on at least, won't cause a fire, it'd just be interesting to see what 'it' does and the reasons;
might catch some peeps out, ya never know :p
Slace will not work with pub I'm quite sure it's ETPRO only. Tbh, PB is a tiny application and uses 4K of memory on your system so it should hardly be a factor to lagging your computer. The only lag was how it was interacting with ET. It was inter-process lag if that's even the name for it XD. Since the issues of that there have been almost 15 updates of which I'm not sure if it resolved that problem, but none the less I will be testing. :)

lKITl

i know peeps complained about lag with PB, weither it was CPU or internet i dunno but I've neva had a issue with PB on any game including ET.

Death_Reincarnated

Anyone remember the issues ET/PB faced due to multicore processors? ET wasnt made for mutlicore processors and surely there is some logic behind why PB lagged the game due to this.

PB is a good method to deter cheaters but it was poorly executed in terms of running smoothly between server/user/database.

Joke :D

the latest incident was casued my midas trolling. If OZ can keep their word to demo + majority vote being hax = ban, then how the server is at the moment is fine.

Trigger Happy

The problem with PB is that it won't catch the majority of hackers anyway...anyone with half a brain can find a new hack that isn't detected. All PB solves is mainly as a deterrent to those that might come on for a laugh with their hacks and generally it is those nubs that are picked up easily by humans anyway. The other issue is that PB doesn't help against the ones that can use a hack properly...if someone is suspected of hacking they will just say "well if PB doesn't kick me I'm obviously not hacking", which we know isn't really the case.

I'll admit that we at OZ need a bit more training when it comes to Hacker spotting, it takes a bit of an art to figure out who the good players are versus the hackers. We rely a lot on the regulars to help us. If you see someone hacking, let us know and if you are feeling really generous, tell that OZ member why you think and what in particular is giving it away so they can learn. Together the community is easily able to keep out the few hackers that we get these days in the game and we only really seem to get troubles when people troll OZ or use random alias' that the real problems arise.

If you don't want to get banned and wait for a couple of days while the process goes through of reviews, simply PM one OZ member you trust. They don't have to tell the rest of the clan who you are, they can simply vouch for you and only if you are mega sus to everyone else would we pry further to find you. If you are trying to alias from the rest of the server that is fine, we can keep that a secret but if you are trying to hide from OZ members and you get banned for it, then you have to understand that as I said earlier, we do still need to work on our hacker spotting and you may end up on the sidelines with a ban for your trouble.

It isn't a perfect system, but it is what we have so let's work together to make it work :)

Cheers

lKITl

Well said Trigger, but what is being done about training, it's how many years later?

An idea is maybe give someone like Joker the position to inform OZ to anyone he thinks is haxing, No actuly power to remove said hacker but the title of SHS (Supreme Hax Spotter) or someone that does know how to spot one.
It's ok having the likes of Ovvy,Horus, I0n to take action if needed,but 90% they is playin (and lately seem to be wrong).
Personaly it takes me some time to get to a verdict and many other as you stated it is a fine art.

So why is the high school PE teacher in charge of the maths department so to say!