• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

OZ Lan Party - Organisation

Where are you?

• Queensland

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Victoria

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Tasmania

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • South Australia

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Northern Territory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Ok so I'm guessing, One gigabit switch like an 8 port one or something. And then a bunch of 24 port switches with 1GP uplink ports to the switches (each 24 porter is gonna hve to have the 1GB uplink one.) Should help remove bottle Necks.

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
I'v seen 2 places online so far arround Brisbane one place for arround 100 people the other for about 500

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
To be honest, this being the first OZ lan party, we should say (once we know where) This is the location (MAX 80 people), this is how much, this is what you need to bring, Put your name down and secure a place pop ur deposit in for it and we're off to go!, if the lan party falls through / doesn't happen we can easily refund everyone their moneys.

What we probably should avoid is anyone who sais Oh can't come at last second (AND THE EVENT IS GOING TO BE ON) and requires money back since the venue would be paid for and ready to go and then we have no way of actually paying for it... (off to the streets Br..... ... ). Just being a realist in terms of what probably would need doing for this. It would be unfair to everyone else who is attending.

Trigger Happy

If you are looking to actually organise an event like this one you will need to be quite ruthless to ensure it actually goes ahead. You need to work out your total cost of what you think the event will cost (all that hardware, a place + power, food perhaps?) and then you will also need to probably set aside a small amount for any "just in case" scenarios.

If you are also planning on someone else providing hardware or that the gamers bring something of their own (like cables etc) then you need to be mindful of the "what if they forget" scenarios too. If you rely on someone else to provide a critical piece and they don't come then gg.

Going towards the securing of this money, you will need to have some sort of deposit, of which you can calculate based on the total cost and then have a policy of needing to pay the remainder at the door to get in. Again you need to work out what the worst case scenario is if everyone paid a deposit but didn't show up and how much cost would still remain that the clan would need to pick up the tab for. Due to this, I would definitely make sure that whatever deposits are made are non-refundable unless the event does not go through or at least having a 2-3 week cutoff before it becomes non-refundable. You simply cannot have people pull out just before the event and cause issues before it goes ahead (unless of course you are smart enough to make the total cost to the gamer slightly higher in order to cover against these scenarios, allowing for a margin of error of say 5 people not showing or something).

This is just a small amount of the work needed to make sure you have a great event and that you are also not left in the lurch. Organising anything that has more than 10-15 people can very easily become chaotic and you need to make sure someone is running this whole operation to a T.

Cheers

Dray

ill man the drinks :) oh wait.... underage people....

oh others notes trigger is right you need to have this organised to the T and i think most people that are serious gamers in the clan will pay a deposit and then some now for some people we will need atleast a full months notice if not 2 so we can get holidays for travel and for accommodation and you guys need to make sure we have a time line so we can see how long the event will last cos if its 2 days i dont see many people out side of the state coming over that its held in

Dray

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep it going I reckon. What games will be played is,something that needs to be discussed as well.

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
:( oor ferny you can come dont know where we are going to hold it at the moment but it will be some where where all can attend and will be in school holidays or something like that

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Ok so, Been thinking about this a little more, a few more things we will require.

So I'm assuming the venue will be hard to get over night. So then what happens to everyone during the night? 11pm -> 10:00am the next morning?

Also, apparently if someone dies and their parents want to sue whoever is in charge you need to be covered for that or...... "you're gonna have a bad time". So we need to work that out, does anyone know if a company "sponsors" you, you can be covered under the companies public liability, would save $600.

CowsWithGuns

Administrator
Staff member
What age are we talking here? If we have under 18's I have a working with children check done that will probably help.