• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

oz server not showing up in server list

matilda

DerpLyfe
phill, you're changing settings on the ET server for the sake of it!!
There was nothing wrong with the way it was!!
You've actually made it worse - what with this player shifting debacle as described by Ted above and the legitimate words which have somehow made it onto the swear filter!!
Can we please get the config restored asap?
Many thanks
mat

Teddles

Matilda: lets not rush into anything different yet before we've had a decent chance to observe outcomes, we had 8v8 playing last night, maybe we should try evaluating and tweaking first before scrapping it as you suggest. I'm all for scrapping if it proves to not work after a brief evaluation period.

Phil Gates: actually by the end of the night it seemed to me that when there were 6 or more humans per each team, your team join enforcement actually worked really well. It's just that when there are bots playing because of low numbers, the forced distribution of players into teams is probably better off being prioritised by the number of humans per team. Hybrid solution!!

PS: Mat was very cross last night, I think Covert's youthful exuberance is grating on him.

Covert

^agree, teams should be even based on the number of human players playing not the kd ratio or any of that rubbish, no sense having 6 people forced onto one team to play against 1 bloke because he has a high KR.

Baker Street

ET Moderator
Mat, Ted & Covert have a good point. I joined last nite and there were 4 ppl on allies and just Covert and Joker on axis (no bots). Not wanting to stack, I tried to join axis but was not allowed and had no choice but to stack and join allies, 5 v 2

0.O

Last edited:

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
auto team balance is based on player rating not on kd and will only trigger every 20 mins for it. g_teamForceBalance_playerrating wont let you join a team if there is a 80 chance that they would win which will be lowered to 55 so that people can join hopefully if not ill take it out

TopCAt!

I think a good old fashioned dictatorship is in order. Admin sees unbalance, moves players, fixed. Players move back, automatic !disorient for 5 mins. Specifically, the 2 best players on a server cannot be on the same team as there just isnt the player base to make up the skill differential with numbers. So, I'm glad everyone agrees.

TopCAt!

phill, you're changing settings on the ET server for the sake of it!!
There was nothing wrong with the way it was!!
You've actually made it worse - what with this player shifting debacle as described by Ted above and the legitimate words which have somehow made it onto the swear filter!!
Can we please get the config restored asap?
Many thanks
mat
Swear filter mod is lol?
If nothing else it will force creative vocabulary
Removing accusatory and derogatory words isnt necessarily a bad thing imho....

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Swear filter mod is lol?
If nothing else it will force creative vocabulary
Removing accusatory and derogatory words isnt necessarily a bad thing imho....
Thats the point really, we want to step away from all the hackusations and focus on play, if you have evidence of them hacking, sure provide it, but this should have been done years ago~

Covert

Thats the point really, we want to step away from all the hackusations and focus on play, if you have evidence of them hacking, sure provide it, but this should have been done years ago~
There will be no evidence because the players being accused of hacking don't hack. I've played the game basically since it was released and have seen many hackers come and go. At this point in time there are 2 players that play semi regularly that to me are obvious wallhackers, but their aim is awful so the admins that are on refuse to take any action.

Also on the stacking issue, How often do you see allies stacked with players like joker and penguin etc? Never. Axis always gets stacked because if it isn't then the maps are over in 5 minutes which was proved the other night. Even with 2 or 3 of the big fraggers on axis, allies will still roll through the map. Axis also have the disadvantage of having to actually run out and go looking for frags, on most maps it is 10x easier for the attacking team to camp up and still take out the big fraggers like joker and penguin plainly because they can hide and abuse things like landmines and the idiotic 15sec spawntime.

TopCAt!

raAlso on the stacking issue, How often do you see allies stacked with players like joker and penguin etc? Never. Axis always gets stacked because if it isn't then the maps are over in 5 minutes which was proved the other night. Even with 2 or 3 of the big fggers on axis, allies will still roll through the map.
Possibly but as a result the maps are not played as they are intended. This shows a fundamental flaw in the playing style of the big fraggers, they don't play obj. When BigFragGuy can't rely on having 5 other players doing obj for BigFragGuy to have a self indulgent noob smashing fest, then theres not much that can be done about it other than have BigFragGuy + Mates spread out to balance the competition, which goes back to the original point about shuffling/balancing.

Circular definition; see definition, circular.

I think axis gets stacked because
-Map layouts allow for bottlenecking, which suits the big fraggers
-Convenience and some type of historical reason/advantage
-Ultimately higher chance of bigger K/D

And that still doesnt explain why the stackers don't jump to allies when the map roles switch from offense to defense either.

Maybe Auto shuffle at the start of every map or something. Or some way of preventing too many team switches.

Covert

Auto shuffle each map is a good idea, sometimes the shuffles can make things worse rather than better tho. It would be good to see all these fools that will only play allies to be forced onto axis once in a while tho

kajah

At this point in time there are 2 players that play semi regularly that to me are obvious wallhackers, but their aim is awful so the admins that are on refuse to take any action.
If they really are hacking, demo then submit!

Axis always gets stacked because if it isn't then the maps are over in 5 minutes which was proved the other night.
This works both ways. I've played on one of the US F/A servers a few times (really, really late at night...) and they only play obj and some maps are over in a few mins. No one holds the obj and then doesn't try and complete it etc. At first I was a bit disappointed because a good map would be done in 2 mins, but then realized that the next map was another good one etc. So map play may be shorter, but we still play lots of good maps, and it's still intense because the teams are actually playing to win, not just for lolz.

One thing I do find a little frustrating sometimes is when two good players are on Axis and three (or even 4) players are on Allies getting smashed. The Allies will never have a chance, and the next player to join will have to go Axis and make the situation even worse. We either need to shuffle, or the better players should really split and play on different teams. This, of course, relies on one of the better players and one of the Allies actually wanting to swap...

+1 for shuffle

Covert

If they really are hacking, demo then submit!

This works both ways. I've played on one of the US F/A servers a few times (really, really late at night...) and they only play obj and some maps are over in a few mins. No one holds the obj and then doesn't try and complete it etc. At first I was a bit disappointed because a good map would be done in 2 mins, but then realized that the next map was another good one etc. So map play may be shorter, but we still play lots of good maps, and it's still intense because the teams are actually playing to win, not just for lolz.

One thing I do find a little frustrating sometimes is when two good players are on Axis and three (or even 4) players are on Allies getting smashed. The Allies will never have a chance, and the next player to join will have to go Axis and make the situation even worse. We either need to shuffle, or the better players should really split and play on different teams. This, of course, relies on one of the better players and one of the Allies actually wanting to swap...

+1 for shuffle
There is no point in submitting demos of them kaj, one thing I have realised is they only take action against hackers if they get bulk frags. I've pointed the players out a couple of times now but because they are bad aimers etc and act all nice and innocent nothing ever happens.

When the teams get to that point with say 4 on one side and 2 on the other, bots need to be turned off and then have a shuffle or balance. That also will never happen tho because for some reason I will never understand it seems the majority of regulars like playing with the bots on even if there is a good amount of humans.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
There is no point in submitting demos of them kaj, one thing I have realised is they only take action against hackers if they get bulk frags. I've pointed the players out a couple of times now but because they are bad aimers etc and act all nice and innocent nothing ever happens.
Could also be we really don't have the people (with the right knowledge) nor the same resources we once had. The fact people cheat in this game, this long after its heyday is quite sad. You are right, in the past people stand out far more when they were really good and 'suspiciously' lucky/good/whatever so they got noticed and focused and everyone else slipped by. Isn't this normal-ish for most games?

I used to enjoy that 'detective' side of the clan back in the day, looking for things that seemed out of place, or fucking it up because we were told they were and assuming. At least we tried.
Kinda curious who is.... yet the shitstorms that always follow a banning are stupid, not that they shouldn't happen, but seriously?

Is there a way to convince people not to cheat?

When the teams get to that point with say 4 on one side and 2 on the other, bots need to be turned off and then have a shuffle or balance. That also will never happen tho because for some reason I will never understand it seems the majority of regulars like playing with the bots on even if there is a good amount of humans.
Perhaps BR can put together something for us, such as offbots and then shuffle in one command; wonder if we can make our own vote-ables. Also if we lower the amount of bots slightly, then that may be less of an issue, maybe.