• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

A drumming GOD!

Antagonist

Inglourious Basterd

Yea man he's tight, and that's death metal btw.

I like having a bash on the drums (although I'm a guitarist)

You might wanna check out the tube for John Bonham (the original drumming god)
from the (original heavy metal band) Led Zeppelin.

Apparently John Bonham's son Jason was better than most at the age of 8 lol.

Also check this little fella out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8TSsiD_ ... re=related

And this young prodigy lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7NvDN0 ... re=related

Man, some of these kids are freaks!

As you know there's bobbla loads of talent on the tube for all to enjoy.

Keep up the drumming man, practice makes perfect. :)

Sunncaeks

Technical Death metal at that.
It's good to see the new Decapitated drummer in action. Brilliant.

Here's just a few of my favourite drummers...

Zbigniew Robert "Inferno" Prominski of Behemoth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTzzc1dXGsU

George Kollias of Nile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EpeAD4w ... re=channel

Michaël "Mike Sako" Saccoman of Kronos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Luyr2WrMAE

and David Haley of Psycroptic (a band from Hobart). Couldn't find any decent drum vids, so this should do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWjuOeYNPE

Amongst many others.

With that said, Led Zeppelin have never been "Heavy Metal" {:

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-pancakefan said:
Led Zeppelin have never been "Heavy Metal" {:
Little you know then kid :p

I've been a headbanger for 32 years mate ( got my first Heavy Metal vinyl when I was 10) lol.

Heavy metal FYI

Meaning

Hard rock music, usually electric guitar-based and always loud.

Origin

Heavy metal seems at first a strange label to apply to a form of music. A little investigation into the symbolism behind makes it seem a rather obvious choice though.

'Heavy' was coined in the beatnik area of the 1950s to mean serious or profound. The term 'heavy music' was then and later applied to music that was in that vein. Of course it's clear to see that meaning of heavy is derived from the usual meaning, i.e. weighty or massive.

led-zeppelin Okay, that's heavy but why should a form of music be called metal? Well, metal is heavy, especially the metals favoured by the bands who played that genre, e.g. Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly and Quicksilver Messenger Service (quicksilver is mercury). Also, the term 'heavy metals' in the chemical sense include mercury, lead and cadmium, which have just the right image of toxicity to suit the musical style. It's interesting, although probably just co-incidence, that many of the British heavy metal bands came from the two principal centres of metal manufacturing in the UK, namely Birmingham (e.g. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne) and Sheffield (Def Leppard). With the decline of that manufacturing tradition, most of the 'metal bashing', as it was known, is now done by these bands rather than by men with big hammers.

So, heavy and metal are ideal candidate words for this genre. Add that to the fact that heavy metal had already been widely used as a military term for heavily fortified tanks/guns etc. and it starts to look like an ideal choice as a label.

The expression first appears in print in William Burroughs' 1962 novel The Soft Machine. His character Uranian Willy is described as "the Heavy Metal Kid". Burroughs later re-used the term in his 1964 novel Nova Express:

"With their diseases and orgasm drugs and their sexless parasite life forms - Heavy Metal People of Uranus wrapped in cool blue mist of vaporized bank notes - And the Insect People of Minraud with metal music."

It isn't clear who first appropriated the term to refer to loud rock music, although several lay claim to it. The widely quoted description of Jimi Hendrix's music as 'like listening to heavy metal falling from the sky', while being a fairly accurate assessment, isn't the earliest.

Some claim that the US rock music critic Lester Bangs, while working for Creem magazine, used the expression in 1968 to describe a performance of the band MC5 (Motor City Five) from Detroit. Creem magazine themselves attribute the term to Mike Saunders, in an article about the 'Kingdom Come' album, by Sir Lord Baltimore, in the May 1971 edition of the magazine:creem

"This album is a far cry from the currently prevalent Grand Funk sludge, because Sir Lord Baltimore seems to have down pat most all the best heavy metal tricks in the book. Precisely, they sound like a mix between the uptempo noiseblasts of Led Zeppelin (instrumentally) and singing that’s like an unending Johnny Winter shriek: they have it all down cold, including medium or uptempo blasts a la LZ, a perfect carbon of early cataclysmic MC5."

This has the benefit of being a traceable citation, as copies of the edition are still extant. So, until other hard evidence is found, that has to be the current strongest claim. It would be surprising if the term had never been used in the musical context before 1971 though - after all Steppenwolf used it in the lyric of their 1968 song Born to be Wild:

"I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under"

The musical style remains popular, although less so than in its heyday - the 1980s, and has spawned sub-genres. These include 'death metal', 'thrash metal', 'grindcore' and even 'folk metal' (aka 'heavy wood').

Reference http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heavy-metal.html

Heavy metal music From Wikipedia.....

The first heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, though they were often critically reviled, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed. Bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden followed in a similar vein. Before the end of the decade, heavy metal had attracted a worldwide following of fans known as "metalheads" or "headbangers".

Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

So there :rnade:

Sunncaeks

I didn't bother reading that at all.

But Led Zep is (Blues Influenced, as my mate keeps insisting) Hard/Classic Rock. Back in the day, it may have been called Heavy Metal, though.

Also, LOL WIKIPEDIA.
Using Wikipedia to talk about metal is your first flaw.

keith

Led Zeppelin were Hard Rock or at best Proto-metal, there is a distinction between hard rock and metal. Of course, they were highly influential and pivotal to the development of what was to become Heavy Metal, they, along with most of the other bands you made mention to, are not usually considered a part of it.

Edit: Beaten like Euronymous by Varg.

Inglourious Basterd

BS, here it is again kids.....

Heavy metal music From Wikipedia.....

The first heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, though they were often critically reviled, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed. Bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden followed in a similar vein. Before the end of the decade, heavy metal had attracted a worldwide following of fans known as "metalheads" or "headbangers".

Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

:flamer: :rnade:

Sunncaeks

Your first flaw with that post, is using a reference such as Wikipedia. As people who edit the pages on Metal generally know SH!T.

I'm sure true Led Zeppelin fans would know that it's not metal. Even my mate who doesn't like Metal listens to Led Zeppelin and tells me they're not metal.

Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, etc are obviously such, though.

I lol'd at the Varg & Euronymous comment.

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-pancakefan said:
Using Wikipedia to talk about metal is your first flaw.
There's no flaw in that mate! Its a fact!

I referenced Wiki to point that out lol

You're wrong, thats obvious...

Well yea my son also thinks he knows it all with his vastly
experienced and knowledgeable 17 years of his life..ignorant as fk to boot.

Cracks me up TBH :lol:

Sunncaeks

Lol.

Well, Wikipedia says that Metalcore is heavy metal, too.
When it's obviously not.

Yeah, well, the only Heavy Metal bands I listen to are Saxon, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Manowar. It's too soft for me. Lol.

I think it's funny when my father comes in and I'm listening to an '80s Thrash band, and he pretends to know who it is.

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-pancakefan said:
Your first flaw with that post, is using a reference such as Wikipedia. As people who edit the pages on Metal generally know SH!T.
NOT ALL OF THEIR MUSIC IS METAL YOU DUMBASSES! ROFLMFO! :lol:

You know SH!T, your mate knows SH!T, Keith knows Sh!T, But I
obviosly know ALOT more SH!T than you boys.......

But I'll leave it at that and let you guys "think" you're right so we can all
be happy k. :p

Anyways lets get back on topic so the forum police dont come and lock us up...

So, what yas think of those lil drummers? pretty good imo. :)

Lestat

Zep are not "heavy metal" More like Hard Rock.. and yeh i was born in "72" so .... and back on topic

Rick Allen

Rick Allen

Rick Allen

When you can drum with one arm and make it good ...yeh.

Inglourious Basterd

Lestat said:
Zep are not "heavy metal"
Yes they are. I was born in "67" so...

Here's a heavy metal timeline:

Late 1960's - Early 1970's

The birth of heavy metal. Groups like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were the first heavy metal bands.

Late 1970's

The rise of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NHOBHM). Bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest become very popular.

Van Halen released their debut album. This began the Los Angeles/Sunset Strip scene, and many bands would come out of this era, including Motley Crue and Quiet Riot. The so called "hair bands" like Poison, Warrant and Ratt came from that scene as well.

The Who's Keith Moon died.

Bands formed this year: Dokken, Ratt, Whitesnake

A sample of heavy metal albums released in 1978:
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
Judas Priest - Stained Class
UFO - Obsession

The German band Accept releases their self-titled debut album. They are considered to be the first European power metal band.

Ozzy Osbourne was fired from Black Sabbath and replaced by Ronnie James Dio.

Bands formed this year: Europe, Hanoi Rocks, Trouble, Venom

A sample of heavy metal albums released in 1979:
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
Kiss - Dynasty
Saxon - Saxon
Scorpions - Lovedrive

Meh, the rest of the time-line is below if anyone's interested

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/heavymet ... meline.htm

Anyways, back on topic

Lestat said:
Rick Allen

Rick Allen

Rick Allen

When you can drum with one arm and make it good ...yeh.
Yea, hats off to Def Leopard's Rick Allan, he's a bobbla legend.

micky

OMG ffs.

First off. LED ZEPPELIN ARE NOT HEAVY METAL.

they are half blues influenced rock and half acoustic(folk and blues)
i should know this as i have 8 of there nine studio albums on cd and listen alot to them regularly.
sure pages guitar is heavy but its nowhere near metal.
People only say they are heavy metal cause they only listen to certain songs cause they download (spits on the ground) and dont listen to all the rest of zeps
music which is just as good. Therefore they only see the heavy side and not the beautifull acoustic songs.

Secondly.
I agree bonham is a drumming legend. shame bout his alcholism and death (still pretty good rock'n'roll way to go tho).

If anyone wants to argue this with me then fine but be prepared cause led zeppelin is NOT heavy metal and i will argue this to the death.

Sunncaeks

Inglourious Basterd said:
THE BEST band in any of your posts by far.
(There's quite a few other Hard Rock bands in there too.)

TRUE DOOM.

Trouble had by far one of the most unique sounds in metal back then. There was even an instance at one of their live shows that some of the boys of Metallica (Hammet and Hetfield I presume, considering they are the guit-wah-rists after-all) came on stage and looked at their amps to try and figure out how they gained their sound. Sure, what your amp's setting at set to has something to do with it, but also what your guitar is tuned to. (Most probably to a low C or D)

Sunncaeks

Metallica only got mentioned because it was in my story-thing. Lol. And yes, old Metallica was great. I can only come to find myself to enjoy their first four album, and two or three tracks on their self-titled. St. Anger was a total flop. Death Magnetic got boring easy, and anything else... Hah...

But pretty much, in terms of Metal, Metallica are pretty overrated. Especially Master of Puppets. Good album, but could be better. Probably because they weren't from the Bay Area like Exodus, lol.