• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

punkbuster

gemanix

I reckon punkbuster deters, and many times prevents hackers, plus allows admins more power to inspect player configuration.
screenshots, cvar inspection, name protection, powerpoints, etc...

Overmars argues the complaints outweigh the value punkbuster brings, so they compromise; it's ok for hackers to connect temporarily, they'll be dealt to swiftly.

oz is developing a culture of tolerating hackers.

let's discuss.

SkankyMoe: wow these maps are heaps better when you turn the sky on
GeMaNiX: NO
GeMaNiX: grass off sky off
SkankyMoe: yeah
SkankyMoe: but
GeMaNiX: NO BUTS
SkankyMoe: its so pretty
SkankyMoe: turn everything off so your just shooting at untextured polygons
GeMaNiX: NO
GeMaNiX: THATS CHEATING
SkankyMoe: turn on full bright skins
SkankyMoe: its legit mod
SkankyMoe: when i say its legit, pb wont pick it up
SkankyMoe: lol
GeMaNiX: THIS SERVER IS HACKER PARADISE
SkankyMoe: tell me about it
-OZ-Overmars: everytime we try to restrict stuff, there's complaints about the lag, so it's a catch 22
SkankyMoe: you cant please everyone
SkankyMoe: important lesson
GeMaNiX: I CAN
Art Vandelay: oh now i see
SkankyMoe: you dont please me gemanix
Art Vandelay: this isnt about skanky enjoying graphics
SkankyMoe: there... i said it
Art Vandelay: this is about him pleasing his wife
GeMaNiX: YOU ARE NOT ANYONE
GeMaNiX: turn pb on
GeMaNiX: if they complain, ban them cause they're cheating
SkankyMoe: lol
GeMaNiX: :|
-OZ-Overmars: is that the important lesson Skank, or is it that we chose not to please you :-)
SkankyMoe: harsh
SkankyMoe: you cut me deep just now
-OZ-Overmars: word
-=OZ=-Fraggle: papaer cuts dont count
-OZ-Overmars: I'm actually surprised at how few hax there seem to be, rather than how many
GeMaNiX: omfg did u really say that
SkankyMoe: its cause most people are good at heart
GeMaNiX: theres hackers on every single night
SkankyMoe: yeah but only a couple each night
-OZ-Overmars: there was plenty in the node days, even with the guid restrictions
-OZ-Overmars: proportionately to how many play now, I'd say there's less
GeMaNiX: WRONG
e: cos noone makes hax for et anymore
-OZ-Overmars: lol, ok
GeMaNiX: im right
GeMaNiX: but then
GeMaNiX: i always am
-OZ-Overmars: frankly I'd rather put up with the temporary whinging while a hax is on, than the constant whinging when pb is on
SkankyMoe: does pb stop hax
GeMaNiX: pretty irresponsible
GeMaNiX: pb does
SkankyMoe: i dont think so
-OZ-Overmars: lol, and you're saying I'm naive
^Obe: who whinges bcuz a hack prevention system is in effect.. there not worth having on here if they whinge tbh..
-OZ-Overmars: pb does help, but there is plenty of stuff that gets past pb
GeMaNiX: you're basically inviting hackers, and saying it's ok
SkankyMoe: gem, the oz has spoken
^Obe: gemanix is right.. but then there is hacks that get past pb..
GeMaNiX: cause so long as i dont hear complaints, hack all u want
^Obe: so it makes no dif..
^Obe: try anti pro when it goes live see how that goes..
-OZ-Overmars: not at all, but I can see how you'd see it that way
FloppySox: tell me some things that get past pb
FloppySox: puhleese
GeMaNiX: cause you just said it
-OZ-Overmars: being right all the time and all
^Obe: regardless in any fps.. hacks ruined the genre..
-OZ-Overmars: I said nothing of the sort
SkankyMoe: bah
GeMaNiX: -OZ-Overmars: frankly I'd rather put up with the temporary whinging while a hax is on, than the constant whinging when p
e: p?
GeMaNiX: u get the idea
SkankyMoe: dosnt pb lag us
-=OZ=-Fraggle: tisk tisk now your repeating yourslef lver ;P
SkankyMoe: thats why they cry about pb
-=OZ=-Fraggle: over*
-OZ-Overmars: that doesn't mean what you twisted it to mean
SkankyMoe: omg lover?
-=OZ=-Fraggle: no typo
GeMaNiX: how can it be twisted? i quoted u
Art Vandelay: hehehe
SkankyMoe: did you say, thats no typo
Art Vandelay: gem win
GeMaNiX: yes
SkankyMoe: i think mars just had a win
-=OZ=-Fraggle: yes it was i always call him over
GeMaNiX: im posting this to forum
Art Vandelay: nah gem won
SkankyMoe: you call him over... to your place
SkankyMoe: omg
-=OZ=-Fraggle: lol no
-OZ-Overmars: go for it. It doesn't mean what you said it means
-=OZ=-Fraggle: stop twisting my words
-OZ-Overmars: I'd love to have pb on
GeMaNiX: cause it's wrong to have a culture like you're promoting
-OZ-Overmars: I turn it on all the time
GeMaNiX: you dont deserve to admin this server
SkankyMoe: you know, since mars has been promoting hackin, i been thinking about taking it up
-=OZ=-Fraggle was killed by << STEADY >>'s MP40
GeMaNiX: with an attitude like that
SkankyMoe: just vote with all the oz guys if it should be pb
-OZ-Overmars: So you'd prefer that a large number of players can no longer play on the server at all?
-=OZ=-Fraggle: i am aware of what over is talking about and the lag pb seems to put ont he server noone shuts up
GeMaNiX: YEH
SkankyMoe: ignoring outside influences...
SkankyMoe: if you catch my drift
GeMaNiX: but it wont come to that. pb works
SkankyMoe: gem... its their server...
FloppySox: pb rox
GeMaNiX: the reason its not working for oz is basically down to incompetence
-=OZ=-Fraggle: then go ga
SkankyMoe: whats not workin
-OZ-Overmars: not on this server it doesn't. I'm for pb being on. I like, use and want pb.
SkankyMoe: this server has people play everyday, its workin fine
GeMaNiX: back tracking
GeMaNiX: im out. discuss later
-OZ-Overmars: (make sure you post these quotes too, if you are looking to be objective)

Joke :D

there are a few good reasons for turning on PB, i.e. config scanning, preventing hax, etc. But with that said there are new ET hax made everyweek, and PB does pick up MOST of them. There are a few that can still pass PB. With the funky skins and the such has more to do with a Pure server, but the server isnt pure so the Mac users out there can frag some noobs.

If someone gan grab a hold of the PB that GA7 and the other GA's use would be mad, but untill then i vote PB off.

Danke

Overmars

ET Moderator
Like I said, I'd like PB to be on. It's a useful tool to have. We've tried quite a few different configs for PB and have taken advice from some of the more knowledgeable on it. Nothing so far has fixed the lag issue.

If someone can put forward a no-lag config for PB that works on the OZ server, we'll have it back on in a second, happily.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Well for those that complained about the Punkbuster lag a month after we turned it off, I found a very very useful few comands, it supposodly changes the net code of Punkbuster running or atleast it uses an alternative code. So if those that suffered from the lag can try that, its helped many people and it was implemented for the reason of it being incompatible by some drivers and causing odd errors and lag.

Don't ask me to quote what the commands are unforunately becuase I can't remember, Ill have to find the link again, but IM sure it wouldn't be too hard to find +its useless until we reenable PB :).

Secondly, I second gemanix.. the xpsave file is huge with pepoples xpsave intergral values over 100000, I think we should try and maintain it a little better imo, idk like.. weekly xpsave or atleast test one week with it or so with Xpsave file clean, DW ILL BAKC UP THE OLD ONE SO IF WE CHOOSE TO GO BACK WE CAN :). But it would just bring back a lot more competition to have weekly xpsave resets for everyone on Sunday morning 1:00am! Then peopel go crazy for no.1 XP XD. We could hold competitions and stuff too! It would be very uber!

Kind Regards, BR

Lestat

i think you will find it is the md5 tool that creates that small lag spike every x amount of mins not Pb itself.As when the md5 checks it is reading your drive eg, set a virus scan going and try play et.Md5 is doing this but every so often.I may be wrong as i haven't had much to do with ET stuff for a while now.Having said that one update of pb was bad but there may be by now a working update of pb?

SkankyMoe

HEY GEMANIX WHOS YOUR BOYFRIEND ? OBVISOULY NOT ME YOU TWAT

OZ - ROBROY, MATILDA AND CHRIS CAN VERIFY THIS FROM 10 MINS AGO

-OZ-RoBRoY -> redrum: (1 recipients): i think this is what u want. if not then mat might be able to help. 14e82484
/M ROB THANKS

SkankyMoe renamed to Augustus
Augustus -> moe: (1 recipients): thats what you get after voting to kick me so what if i was pushing you onto yor mines you planting
Augustus -> moe: (1 recipients): just chill and we stop making trouble for you and the others we own this server not you jerks

I GUESS IVE GOT A FANBOI JUST LIKE RIPS AYE LOL

Fraggle

In Moe's defence he always fonts in capslocks... thats moe on this arvo wasnt using capslock...

I think its a case of attack of the serial pest as you all like to call him!!!

blusky

You're an idiot if you think Overmars is promoting hacking on the server, and you're even more silly if you think OZ wants to welcome hackers. Clearly no one wants hackers on the server. (HEHE ROFL Y DO U AV PB OFF DEN????????)

It's not hard to spot hackers and most of the 'good' players on OZ that get called out on using hacks/exploiting CFGS/scripts also play on servers with PB/restrictions (GA) - other GA players would find out if others got banned and would tell OZ. They play just as well on GA as they do on OZ.

gemanix said:
GeMaNiX: theres hackers on every single night
No there isn't. Let us know, who hacks? The server is usually 98% filled with OZ regs. Only hacker I see rarely is that Celine Dion guy from Canada. If there are hackers on every single night (lol) then let an admin know and they will ban them/kick them ASAP.

If the server is now a 'hackers paradise' why would people even want to play on it? It's usually always 32/32 at 'peak hour' gaming times lol.

PB lags the server sooo badly and just recently (3 months or so) there is this new pb lag that came with an update that only some people get - it's gamebreaking/unplayable when it's on. I myself get this lag and can you tell it's extremely frustrating.

It's pathetic how you directly insult Overmars when he sits in spec A LOT of the time to try and catch hackers/fix the server when i'm sure he'd much rather be playing.

Antagonist

ive recently been playing on a few american servers both etpub and jaymod, and i must say compared to Australian servers they seem 10 times smoother. Although im at 250-350 ping its incredibly smooth with little to no lag spikes at all, anyone know why this is??? do americans have better servers or something? (im not very computer savvy) even with there PB on it was an enjoyable experience to play against 32 ppl and not suffer complete map/player warpment.
My point is the whole PB thing is obviously something server side as every server ive played on with PB doesnt seem to suffer the rediculious chugging the PB inflicts on OZ so perhaps we can ninja there settings or something???
because +1 in turning PB on, but keep it off if its just ganna be a burdon

Trigger Happy

It is strange how overseas servers can sometimes be less jittery in gameplay than Aussie servers.
My guess would be that because their bandwidths and stuff over there are far superior to ours over here, they are able to put through a constant throughput the whole time you play, whereas over here we probably get spikes on the lines since we don't have as good infrastructure in that sense. I mean just look at the pitiful upload rates we get over here and then look at the data ET is trying to push out to everyone.

Cheers

SkankyMoe

BANDWIDTH IS NOT THE ISSUE AT HAND, MORE THAN LIKELY BEING A SHARED SERVER IS THE PROBLEM UPOSE TO A DEDICATED SERVER.
IF YOU LOOK AT THE RECOMENDATIONS/REQUIREMENTS PER SLOT FOR ET ITS MINIMAL, LIKE 6K/SEC PER SLOT.
THE LAG IS COMMING FROM PROCESSOR/SYSTEM PRIORITY AVAILABILITY

gemanix

SkankyMoe said:
HEY GEMANIX WHOS YOUR BOYFRIEND ? OBVISOULY NOT ME YOU TWAT
</3

blusky said:
You're an idiot if you think Overmars is promoting hacking on the server, and you're even more silly if you think OZ wants to welcome hackers. Clearly no one wants hackers on the server.
Oz definitely welcome hackers by leaving punkbuster off.

blusky said:
No there isn't.
Yes, there is.

blusky said:
PB lags the server sooo badly and just recently (3 months or so) there is this new pb lag that came with an update that only some people get - it's gamebreaking/unplayable when it's on. I myself get this lag and can you tell it's extremely frustrating.
a thousand other pb enabled servers dont have a lag problem.

blusky said:
It's pathetic how you blah blah blah cry cry cry. overmars will u make me admin if i blow u?
lol

morbit

pb_sv_MsgPrefix "^3PunkBuster Server" //[PB Message Prefix (default=^3PunkBuster Client)]
pb_sv_MaxDlRate 3 //[KB/sec requested per file (default=4)]
pb_sv_MaxConDls 1 //[Concurrent downloads (default=1)]
pb_sv_KickLen 2 //[Minutes (default=2)]
pb_sv_CvarFreq 4 //[# of range checks per minute]
pb_sv_CvarLogging 1 //[1=Reg. Log, 2=Var Log, 3=Both, 0=Neither]
pb_sv_CvarWalk 1 //[0=disabled, 1-4=Walk through obtained Cvar lists]
pb_sv_CvarUserPulse 99 //[Frequency to auto-send CvarUser (minutes)]
pb_sv_CvarChangedPulse 99 //[Frequency to auto-send CvarChanged (minutes)]
pb_sv_CQC 1 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=1)]
pb_sv_LogSync 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_SsFloor 1 //[Low screenshot filename serial #]
pb_sv_SsCeiling 100 //[High screenshot filename serial #]
pb_sv_SsCmd "" //[Filename of system command to run after screenshots]
pb_sv_SsWidth 800 //[Requested pixel width of remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsHeight 600 //[Requested pixel height of remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsXpct 100 //[Percentage across screen for remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsYpct 100 //[Percentage down screen for remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsSrate 1 //[Sample Rate for remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsDelay 0 //[Maximum delay client waits before capturing screenshot]
pb_sv_SsPath "" //[Path where remote screenshots are saved]
pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 60 //[Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]
pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 //[Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]
pb_sv_AutoSs 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_ssLogging 0 //[1=Reg. Log, 2=SS Log, 3=Both, 0=Neither]
pb_sv_ssTimeout 0 //[Seconds]
pb_sv_Sleep 500 //[# of Milliseconds (default=60)]
pb_sv_PowerMin 10 //[Power Points]
pb_sv_PowerDef 1 //[Power Points]
pb_sv_PowerKickLen 5 //[Minutes (default=5)]
pb_sv_HttpPort 0 //[Port #]
pb_sv_HttpAddr "" //[External IP Address]
pb_sv_HttpRefresh 30 //[Seconds]
pb_sv_HttpKey "" //[Key]
pb_sv_HttpMaps "" //[Map list (separate by spaces)]
pb_sv_ScoreKick 0 //[Min score (negative)]
pb_sv_ChangePeriod 999 //[Seconds]
pb_sv_ChangeMax 5 //[Max name changes allowed]
pb_sv_DupNameGrace 20 //[Seconds]
pb_sv_AutoUpdBan 1 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_ExtChar 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_GuidRelax 0 //[1=UNKN, 2=WRONGIP, 4=DUP (add desired values)]
pb_sv_RconReload 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_HttpMapsPath "" //[Path where maps are loaded from in WebTool]
pb_sv_HttpColText1 "FFFFFF" //[Text Color #1 in WebTool (default=FFFFFF)]
pb_sv_HttpColText2 "0000FF" //[Text Color #2 in WebTool (default=0000FF)]
pb_sv_HttpColBack1 "000000" //[Background Color #1 in WebTool (default=000000)]
pb_sv_HttpColBack2 "808080" //[Background Color #2 in WebTool (default=808080)]
pb_sv_HttpColLine1 "FF0000" //[Line Color #1 in WebTool (default=FF0000)]
pb_sv_HttpColLine2 "0000FF" //[Line Color #2 in WebTool (default=0000FF)]
pb_sv_HttpColMsg "FF0000" //[Message Color in WebTool (default=FF0000)]
pb_sv_HttpShowGuid 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_Restrictions 1 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=1)]
pb_sv_FileWhitelist "" //[Folder Filename Filename ... Filename]
pb_sv_EmptyName 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_LogFloor 1 //[Low log filename serial #]
pb_sv_MinName 3 //[Min Characters in Player name (default=0)]
pb_sv_MaxName 0 //[Max Characters in Player name (default=0)]
pb_sv_LanMask "" //[IP Address Mask for LAN Players (default=)]
pb_sv_Lan 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_UpdateGrace 800 //[Seconds to wait before Update Failure kick]
pb_sv_NoGuidGrace 5 //[Seconds to wait before No GUID kick]
pb_sv_AliasFn "" //[Filename (default="pbalias.dat")] leaving blank goes to default
pb_sv_AliasAutoLoad 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_AliasMax 10 //[Max # of Aliases to track for each PB GUID]
pb_sv_AliasMaxEnforce 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_load pbsvlog.cfg //load remote logging settings (if pbsvlog.cfg exists)

;Badname List - pb_sv_badname [grace_period_secs] [disallowed text]

;Cvar Range List - pb_sv_cvar [cvar_name] [type] [value(s)]
pb_sv_cvarempty

all players should insure that there client is up to date as well, use pbsetup found at below link:
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

also may pay for players to read this:

http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/et-pl/index.htm

and admins this:

http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/et-ad/index.htm

and yes the md5 checks are the most demanding info can be found here:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=md5tool.php

i would suggest if going to use this (which as you are not running pure server i would recommend) pb_sv_md5toolfreq setting should be set to 300 that way it will limit the demand on peoples systems although it will still cause extra disk usage every 300 seconds so perhaps as a trade off leave md5 checking of and enable pb

Lestat

morbit said:
and yes the md5 checks are the most demanding info can be found here:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=md5tool.php

i would suggest if going to use this (which as you are not running pure server i would recommend) pb_sv_md5toolfreq setting should be set to 300 that way it will limit the demand on peoples systems although it will still cause extra disk usage every 300 seconds so perhaps as a trade off leave md5 checking of and enable pb
tho md5 does get what pb does not.And what pb does not i am sure mod's can take care of the rest.

matilda

DerpLyfe
Antagonist said:
as every server ive played on with PB doesnt seem to suffer the rediculious chugging the PB inflicts on OZ so perhaps we can ninja there settings or something???
Well I've found that batou's server is even worse with pb turned on!

And I'm pretty sure blusky has mentioned GA is bad. In other words, every server with PB turned on is a problem to some players.

If we turn pb back on it will ruin the fun for quite a few players. No, not just me and blusky. There are many other regs that complain about the pb lag. If we have to put up with the (very) occasional hacker, then so be it. Anyway, most of the regs can spot a hacker within a few minutes.
Just remember that it's only a game, people! If you lose a few SMG duels with a hacker it's not the end of the world! :shock:

Death_Reincarnated

BBA server I used to play on with 32v32 was awesome. Pings of 250-350 but it was smooth like Antagonist said. They have XP save forever aswell so that sort of rule sout XP save file causing lag. Although it would be good to trial XP reset after say 8hours on the OZ server to see how we go.

From my gameplay experience I recall intermittent/interval lag spikes occuring on Internode at one stage of my ET carrier. I began playng on Internode and it was fine then few months latter I would get lag spikes occuring at equalaly (close to) spaced times. I thought it was my PC but others would get it as well.

Not sure what happend or how it was fixed but they went away.

Could be server side or it could be PB versions running on the server...dunno but I hardly doubt it is caused by end user since there are too many variables and they are all connected to ONE server.