• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

punkbuster

Lestat

i will say it once more ... Run an av scan play ET see how choppy ET becomes,That is just and example of what the md5 tool does but at intervals as morbit said set by a cvar.and it scans the ET folder increasing load on the hard drive seek.this is why it is at regular intervals that you experience spikes.

Other helpful tip's:

shut any other app's off eg msn.. run ONLY ET and see how that goes.You want the least amount of things to cause your hard drive to seek,Also defrag once in while.

blusky

gemanix said:
SkankyMoe said:
HEY GEMANIX WHOS YOUR BOYFRIEND ? OBVISOULY NOT ME YOU TWAT
</3

blusky said:
You're an idiot if you think Overmars is promoting hacking on the server, and you're even more silly if you think OZ wants to welcome hackers. Clearly no one wants hackers on the server.
Oz definitely welcome hackers by leaving punkbuster off.

blusky said:
No there isn't.
Yes, there is.

blusky said:
PB lags the server sooo badly and just recently (3 months or so) there is this new pb lag that came with an update that only some people get - it's gamebreaking/unplayable when it's on. I myself get this lag and can you tell it's extremely frustrating.
a thousand other pb enabled servers dont have a lag problem.

blusky said:
It's pathetic how you blah blah blah cry cry cry. overmars will u make me admin if i blow u?
lol
Nice to see a dumb old man has the maturity of a 10 year old, your response to my post just showed how serious you are about your complaint. I actually thought you weren't trolling. Don't play on 'hackers paradise' (lol, moron)if it's that bad and there is a hacker on every night that is welcomed with kisses and cookies from OZ admins!

gemanix

blusky said:
Nice to see a dumb old man has the maturity of a 10 year old, your response to my post just showed how serious you are about your complaint. I actually thought you weren't trolling. Don't play on 'hackers paradise' (lol, moron)if it's that bad and there is a hacker on every night that is welcomed with kisses and cookies from OZ admins!
i was only poking some fun. sorry dude. dont be mad. i think you're ok blusky.

yes, i'm provocative in my language. maybe, and probably only, to get attention to something which i think would really help admins in the long run.
something you'll learn about me, if you even care, is that what i say, and what i believe are two different things. in contrast to my comments, i actually think the admins here do a fairly good job.

to prove i appreciate you all, and your efforts, i'll release a special statistics tool in the next week or so which reports on demand who is currently top fragger, top team damage, top mp40, top rnade, etc.
watch this space.

Overmars

ET Moderator
Thanks Middy, I'll compare it to our config.
Gem, calling people incompetent doesn't get them wanting to hurry up and deal with what you are complaining about.

I think some forget that the server is free to use, and the admins/mods don't get paid to do what they do, and have lives, jobs, school, etc. If something doesn't get looked at or changed straight away, it's likely because something of more importance is happening but it will be attended to when there is time to do so.

Yes, I said something of more importance - this is a game, a bit of fun, a distraction from actual real life. Some may say that is sacrilege for a game server admin to say that, but I call it perspective.

gemanix

-OZ-Overmars said:
Gem, calling people incompetent doesn't get them wanting to hurry up and deal with what you are complaining about.
the issue would have progressed as far as it has, had i not called it. i merely used the word to serve a purpose. i do not really believe you are incompetent.

morbit

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
pb_sv_WallOfTextToAnnoyPeople 1 //sets annoyance on

Cheers

then don't read it, hopefully your not the one that configures the server or we have no hope lol (mofo triggerhappy??)

overmars asked for cfg, he got some settings he could compare with the existing, yes fine most didn't need to be there and could have just posted the key cvars to check but this was easier for me

every server that has pb and is using md5 scan will have some extra demand on end user but you can minimize the amount of impact it has.

having pb enabled stops false accusations made on ppl no offense to admins either but it happens, if pb kicks you for hax your hacking end of story!

ga servers are pretty good for me but as for all online games there is some lag at times and this just cant be helped its the nature of the beast.

Well I've found that batou's server is even worse with pb turned on!
batous server? is that sydney etpub? i checked it out a while back seemed quite good, very smooth but didn't like the headshot sound but know one played there much so hunted round for other servers....
havin seen Batou in a long time, surprised his still around i remember playing with him on internode. didn't see him on sydney server though so maybe not right one,could someone tell me which is his wouldn't mind saying hi?

but anyway f1 to
pb_sv_WallOfTextToAnnoytriggerhappy 1

Overmars

ET Moderator
Sure, but PB doesn't only kick for hax. Within 30 secs of turning it on the other day, 3 people were kicked who weren't haxing. One was because their name was too short (changeable in config, sure), another for a GUID error, and another because they weren't on the best network. None of them were using hax, but had their game disturbed by being kicked none-the-less.

A stable, lag-free PB functioning on the server is the goal, and hopefully we'll get to that - BUT if having PB on makes more people's game annoying or unplayable than hax it catches, what have we actually gained? If we lose people like Mess, blusky, Hicksy, and Rippa playing on the server in the process, is that an improvement?

The Admiral

I loved "Game Integrity" pb kicks. No one ever had a clue what on earth it meant.

I'd side with Middy/Antagonist etc and say that OZ probably has terrible PB settings. I think everyone just hacks. When we tried streaming to PBBans and Punks Busted everyone whined because they were getting picked up for previous hacking attempts etc.

Turn PB on and screw over those who whine about lag. If the server already lags, a little extra hardly matters.

G-Train

I reckon you should just to random PB scans.

So every now and then turn pb on for an hour or so to hopefully catch some newb hackers off guard and then off again to maintain a lag free server.

Does anyone know if antipro is compatible with etpub?

Death_Reincarnated

IMo best server/PB settings were on Node just before it was removed for ET:QW.

Gameplay was smooth and PB scanning/lag was above tolerable. OGN preety much picked up alot of the Node settings further on and OZ should too but it looks like they have made too many changes based on one/two people at a time and now settings are all over the place.

I shall see how my gameplay goes with PB on late tonight (will be on after midnight or so). Just remember that im on dialup so whatever lag related issues happen I feel its results magnified.

I still would reccomend XP reset after 8hrs or so and make the achievements harder to obtain that was people are bound to stick to one class.

nelots

@G - afiak antipro is only for ETpro and theres no mac support for it either so I'm guessing OZ will not implement antipro even when its completed.

-OZ-Overmars said:
Sure, but PB doesn't only kick for hax. Within 30 secs of turning it on the other day, 3 people were kicked who weren't haxing. One was because their name was too short (changeable in config, sure), another for a GUID error, and another because they weren't on the best network. None of them were using hax, but had their game disturbed by being kicked none-the-less.
All those 3 could easily fix their problems in less than 1 minute.

-OZ-Overmars said:
A stable, lag-free PB functioning on the server is the goal, and hopefully we'll get to that - BUT if having PB on makes more people's game annoying or unplayable than hax it catches, what have we actually gained? If we lose people like Mess, blusky, Hicksy, and Rippa playing on the server in the process, is that an improvement?
Lag-free PB on OZ server is pretty much a fantasy, imo its a combination of horrible server specs and a horrid server config which causes the bulk of the lag when pb is on. The other factors will be the end-users hardware specs as you can see most of the people complaining are playing on 5yr old+ computers with AGP graphics cards.

Heres a suggestion to the admins, turn PB on with minimal settings, add more checks(md5) to the config until 30% of the regs start complaining about the lag.
End result will be PB on, less work for admins in regards to checking hackers, you wont need to worry about name stealer since PB can fix that and the lag will be minimal since you can set the number of checks performed.
Best of both worlds....... K GO!

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont really have anything useful to add to this thread, but I do feel it needs one of these....

The Admiral

SkankyMoe said:
Messenjah said:
PBBans is back online. Should stream to that so all the old known hackers stay banned >.>
F1 ONCE A HACKER ALWAYS A HACKER
BR gets kicked for one of them. I think Porter and a few other OZ members got kicked when the server streamed to them last time. And they managed to invent some lag to go along with it. But I'm +1 for it.

noobItUp said:
I dont really have anything useful to add to this thread, but I do feel it needs one of these....

She's pretty cute. The girl, not the cow.

blusky

The Admiral said:
BR gets kicked for one of them. I think Porter and a few other OZ members got kicked when the server streamed to them last time. And they managed to invent some lag to go along with it. But I'm +1 for it.
EVERYONE JUST FIBBIN ABOUT THIS PB LAG SO THEY CAN HACK AM I RITE ADMIRAL?

SkankyMoe

blusky said:
The Admiral said:
EVERYONE JUST FIBBIN ABOUT THIS PB LAG SO THEY CAN HACK AM I RITE ADMIRAL?
DO I DETECT A CONSPIRACY THEORY ? :lol: