• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

punkbuster

Overmars

ET Moderator
Below are the only differences in values between ours and Middy's suggested config.

pb_sv_AliasMax 5 (vs 10)
pb_sv_AutoUpdBan 0 (vs 1)
pb_sv_ChangePeriod 300 (vs 999)
pb_sv_CvarFreq 2 (vs 4)
pb_sv_CvarWalk 0 (vs 1 - usually 1, testing 0)
pb_sv_DupNameGrace 0 (vs 20)
pb_sv_GuidRelax 1 (vs 0)
pb_sv_KickLen 3 (vs 2)
pb_sv_MaxDlRate 1 (vs 3 - usually 4, testing 1)
pb_sv_NoGuidGrace 1 (vs 5)
pb_sv_Restrictions 0 (vs 1 - usually 1, testing 0)
pb_sv_Sleep 15000 (vs 500 - usually 500, testing 15000)
pb_sv_UpdateGrace 600 (vs 800)

I don't see anything there that would add lag, but I might be missing something.

amacide

ET Moderator
-OZ-Overmars said:
pb_sv_CvarFreq 2 (vs 4)
pb_sv_CvarWalk 0 (vs 1 - usually 1, testing 0)
pb_sv_Restrictions 0 (vs 1 - usually 1, testing 0)
pb_sv_Sleep 15000 (vs 500 - usually 500, testing 15000)
Those are good settings for testing PB. Maybe bump pb_sv_CvarFreq back to 4.

I suspect the PunkBuster lag is due to the Cvar settings... PB slows me, but I don't lag-spike like others.
By disabling the Cvar walk it is probably helping client-side which it seems is where the PB lag mostly exists...

Hehe. I've seen players blame lag on PB even though PB was off and had been off for a week :lol:

Cheers.

Death_Reincarnated

Lets face it, the telecommunication/internet infrastructure in Australia is below par. With a 80% rise in complaints to Telstra no wonder people are annoyed with lag. There are too many people using it and when saturday evening approaches my dialup becomes worse and worse.

This PB lag seems quite random...so random that I would put money on that ISPs have issues with overlaod during peak times AND the infrastructure is old and where the server is situated...well just makes it worse i guess.

Lestat

Mr RuDD said:
07 April 2009
New National Broadband Network

The Rudd Government today announced the establishment of a new company to build and operate a new super fast National Broadband Network.

This new super fast National Broadband Network, built in partnership with private sector, will be the single largest nation building infrastructure project in Australian history.

This new National Broadband Network will:

* Connect 90 percent of all Australian homes, schools and workplaces with broadband services with speeds up to 100 megabits per second - 100 times faster than those currently used by many households and businesses
* Connect all other premises in Australia with next generation wireless and satellite technologies that will be deliver broadband speeds of 12 megabits per second
* Directly support up to 25,000 local jobs every year, on average, over the 8 year life of the project

Under the Rudd Government’s new national broadband network every house, school and business in Australia will get access to affordable fast broadband.
So where is that! i wish they would HTFU!

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
Lets face it, the telecommunication/internet infrastructure in Australia is below par. With a 80% rise in complaints to Telstra no wonder people are annoyed with lag. There are too many people using it and when saturday evening approaches my dialup becomes worse and worse.
This PB lag seems quite random...so random that I would put money on that ISPs have issues with overlaod during peak times AND the infrastructure is old and where the server is situated...well just makes it worse i guess.
Majority of the complaints would be billing disputes and the bulk of hardware related complaints will be from new connections/no sync or line faults due to end users inability to use proper filters or having complex systems on their line.
You live in a regional area what else would you expect??? a simple incoming call can cause your random lag spikes/disconnections. The fact that you mention that it happens randomly will most likely mean its not caused by peak congestion.

Lestat said:
So where is that! i wish they would HTFU!
Well Stephen Conroy has a hand in the NBN1/NBN2 shit so it'll most likely never going to happen. Just another set of political lies to make voters think the nations going forward.

Death_Reincarnated

@nelots

I never implied its random for me but for everyone; considering location, various ISPs, peak time congestion, noise from various factors and even end user issues. From what i've read in the threads I think BR has not been able to pinpoint the exact issue yet and even the speed test thread did not appear to point in the right direction.

In the end its either end user, server side OR BOTH but atm it looks to be server side.

What i also know is in previous times when PB was not set properly it would cause consistant lag spikes on Internode. Back then I had adsl2+ and was fine then went bad then was fixed and the server was in Sydney (from memory). If it is server side than it can be hardware/setup or even where it situated....with incorrect PB settings this can cause more issues.

I agree that players will always have issue with the so called 'lag spikes' but considering the game is quite old and majority of players can easily run the game on the machine, the issue must be leaning more towards server side IF players say that OZ server causes issues yet others dont (for example).

MOFO server was getting issues and correcting PB setting helped out. There was even an incident where updated server version of PB actually made it worse and therefore players had to revert or wait for yet another update.

PB has caused issues in the past and incorrect setting on the server do make things worse AND at random times.