• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Rippas Serial Pest

Status
Not open for further replies.

the whole cake

In classic cake fashion I will now enter in the conversation without reading all the prior posts:
You can't ban anyone from a public server. Its a fundamentally flawed concept. Put simply, there are infinite IPs, locations, handles, etkeys nicks etc out there for someone to choose from and join the server. You cannot ban them all. The most you can do is 'keep up'. So for this reason you have two choices and only two choices:

[*]Continually ban his latest IP, handle, etkey and continue this forever, being a pain every time.
[*]Make OZ-ET server an invite-only system. Require approval on every person who joins. (server will die instantly)

In my opinion the only thing that we can do is make it more fun to behave than to misbehave. Half the fun of misbehaving is ban-evading. If you take the challenge away then there will be no fun.

* the whole cake has 10+ years experience of ban evading and trolling. He is considered an expert in online trolling, harassment and general cakeness.

Death_Reincarnated

Internode used the 'invite-only' system and it worked quite well. Basically people needed to create a user account on the forums and submit their ET key. When joining the server it would scan through the list of ET keys that were submitted and if yours was not on the list you could not join the server.

Only problem with that is letting people know before hand. The only critical failure point of this idea is the facts that random players (i.e. non-regular) will be forced to do this and such cases they would just not bother doing so and hence OZ server would lose out on player numbers.

We really need dedicated admins/mods on the server to do their job swiftly. This is perhaps the best case scenario...likewise cakes idea of generally being a friednly server but we all know pests dont care and will cause havoc so either way were screwed lol.

Anyways im open to being permitted !kick/mute etc commnads to keep the server running smoohter. I can't really play atm but I can still watch and talk with you guys. The ping fluctuations is driving me nuts...im suprised I can get positive K:D ration still lol.

Lestat

@Cake: you can ban people on a public server,Just not on a free game such as ET.Just because it is public does not mean you have a RIGHT to play on it,It is a privilege.

@Death:Node did not do invite only, It was GUID registration,and if you did not have a regged GUID then the server would kick you with the message on where to go to register and how to do it.And there where two week's between registration's from 1 forum account (flaw in that is well everyone knows how to register more than once on a forum).In the last weeks of node they made it node ip's only (which worked but killed the server completely)

The only way is what many others have said have mod's deal with it as soon as it happens it is just that simple,Not enough mod's that is easy too GET more mod's. or again as others have said give !freeze to regs (not !kick/!mute) !freeze is sufficient to deal with pest/hackers if they cant move they cant annoy and the regs abuse it it aint that hard to take it away old saying "easy come easy go".

Death_Reincarnated

@lestat yeah thats it...GUID. Problem was in order to register it YOU HAD TO make an internode account.

!freeze sounds like fun....how about more pestering commands like !flame or !nude OR better yet !lag (forces lag upot them). I gladly put my hand up to trial these commands...if BR considers me as a good admin/mod candidate :)

gemanix

Death_Reincarnated said:
@lestat yeah thats it...GUID. Problem was in order to register it YOU HAD TO make an internode account.
indeed. and you could not make more than 1 guid per week, which was a pain for little gain.

i'd consider a registration system a last resort. by limiting name changes, and kick voting to privileged users, you remove the tools of the serial pest.

the whole cake

Oh oh oh oh oh I know! ooh! ooh! ooh! cake pick cake pick cake!

How about we have a big list of nobels! Like.....not mods... but just regulars. And let them call votes. Like what was said in the previous post but reworded to make it look like I thought it up.

Overmars

ET Moderator
freeze by itself doesn't work, then he just blah blah blah, he comes to both annoy through action and/or words. freeze + mute is needed. We're working on it.

SkankyMoe

NUMBER 2 RULE# = OzSmackDown (aKa "OSD" Rule) IF A PLAYER DOESNT QUALIFY FOR FWK Rule

!BAN player + /PM (generic msg: "OZ SMACK DOWN ENABLED") note: Player Must Request !BAN lift via forums to get back on server.

Trigger Happy

I highly doubt any regular will get any powers. The ones you mention half of the current oz members do not have so I'd say there is little chance of anyone else getting it xD.
@skanks, ban doesn't really work because he can evade it in two seconds.

Cheers

Trigger Happy

The Admiral said:
Most of the regs know the game better than OZ members.
I'd disagree, your statement is very generalised. You were an OZ member once, so I guess you fall into that category then yourself according to your statement.

Cheers

CHRONIC

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
[quote="The Admiral":3rba8s10]Most of the regs know the game better than OZ members.
I'd disagree, your statement is very generalised. You were an OZ member once, so I guess you fall into that category then yourself according to your statement.

Cheers[/quote:3rba8s10]

But he is now a reg, not an OZ member...
Clue up m8

Furry

I wonder if lammy posting in topics where he dosnt belong makes him feel like a real man..

furball with the serial pest a few players told fur to kick the player for constant tking etc etc though his words to rippa was stfu dont send me like 30 pms. rippa would not have to if the mod listened. Also once me told him so he understood all he did was ask the pest to change his name. COME ON what bs call is that.
Kay firstly he wasnt tking while i was on..
Kay secondly, it wasnt just rippa pming me, and rippa was using foul language in his pms.. towards me and the pest.. he is lucky ididnt kick him..
Kay so thridly i didnt just ask him to change his name there was alot more in that conversation i was having with him You werent there lammy so you have no idea what your talking about
Kay so finally i was listening to rippa... and talking to the pest about it im not gonna go kick someone just because someone says they are doing bad things specially if they arnt even in oz its not a lack of trust its just the rules.. i cant just go on peoples words so yeh lammy go screw yourself kay you shouldnt be so sour all the time. get your facts right.

Late post imo, i jsut havnt been reading this topic :D

Trigger Happy

Well I think this topic has lived out it's lifespan.
We are taking on board the suggestions made in this thread and I personally am going to be looking into some source code once I am on holidays to try and implement some of gemanix's suggestions.
We are working on this problem and I just ask that the regs have patience with us while we try and work on a permanent solution to this problem. In the mean time try and give the oz members some slack if they aren't kicking/banning as quickly as you would like.
Thanks to those who gave up some good suggestions on the topic, it is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.