• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

XP Reset Options

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
There are a few options to reset Xp on the PUB server we have. I believe its been missed the opportunity to gain the stars of which some of you may have completely forgotten about, due to having XP save so long. OF course if this goes through with, I will try my best to list all your XP Save on the site somewhere so it's viewable with a TOP 50 or 100 for indication.

The first option is we can reset it on the 1st of every month or set an XP limit perhaps to 50000xp (although I have never quite seen the excitement or advantage to this option).

Kind Regards, BR

Joke :D

Or just have the xpsave to say 48 hours? so if you don't log onto the server for 48 hours your xp goes baibai

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Joke =D said:
Or just have the xpsave to say 48 hours? so if you don't log onto the server for 48 hours your xp goes baibai
Yes I forgot one and that's it! IF we chose that though of what time would be suitable? 24/48 hours?

Joke :D

depends, 24 hours is abit rough because it means that people will have to log on every day to keep their xp, so maybe 2-3 days?

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Joke =D said:
depends, 24 hours is a bit rough because it means that people will have to log on every day to keep their xp, so maybe 2-3 days?
I do like this option best (xp reset if your not on within 2-3 days), seems logical, keeps the resetting happening, shows who the OCD'ers are too!, as well as gaining a bit of bonus due to level 4 skills etc.. :)

Frogma

Nah that just punishes the casual gamers who have other stuff to do. Make it the start of every month (or week).

Mozzie

I firmly believe XP Reset will kill the enjoyment of OZ for a lot of people. The situation you'll have is the good players able to ramp up their XP and level up really quickly, and the casual and not so good players are going to struggle to get level 4 on each class, which is ultimately going to disadvantage them even further when vsing the high kd'ers

Fraggle

It depends on why
If your trying to make things fair it wont.
If its to stop lag on the server well it might I dunno that 1!

If people want to reset their xp there is already an option!
/!resetmyxp..
F2
Thanx
Fraggle

Mozzie

I'd have no issue with a one off or at a stretch 3-6 monthly reset, or a reset after being inactive for a time, but Weekly or Monthly is too often in my opinion although I'd agree that it's a bit pointless saving XP for people who may no longer be playing and probably just clogs up the server...

However, Having no XP reset was always a drawcard for ET servers over the years, and with the community in decline I think there's every reason to apply the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule to this one.

Trigger Happy

I'm on the fence with this one. I think 8 hour XP save like ptgn had was a good idea because it kept most things fair. The good thing about having it so short is that you can keep most things default and you can bring back adren. Some say it is a disadvantage to the weaker players, but it is only a disadvantage to the weaker players who have no time to play. I know the likes of rippa back in the day would spend hours and hours on there and get adren pumping just about every day :p The 8 hour reset forced people to get better because if you didn't you died pretty quickly at times.
On the flip side, I think seeing as the community is smaller and most of us are casual gamers, having a longer reset is probably best. A monthly reset is probably best of both worlds. You can, like you said, have some sort of page that then monitors XP and those that are into competition can fight for the title of most XP in a month.
The only downside of XP reset in general is that it is one of the easiest ways to pick up a random hacker :p When everyone on the server has around 10 000 XP, it becomes obvious when someone with 0 XP comes along and starts tearing it up that something is up.

Cheers

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
My question is what problem are we trying to solve here? I agree with trigs that 0xp and pwnership is generally a red flag which helps spot haxxors.

Having everyone maxxed out is kinda the most level playing field you can have. With XP resets you are going to get more of those helpful FOPs never leaving spawn to make sure everyone has lots of ammo.

Antagonist

im all for xp reset.. i personally delete my et key or reset my xp quite alot as i enjoy the challenge of getting up my ranks.. but 24/48 is a bit often i think... as frogma said there are alot of casual players and always coming on with no xp all the time would kinda suck :S maybe a xp reset per week or per fortnight would be a good compromise

blusky

Every month would be for the best I reckon. However I believe it's an issue that the 'community' would want a say in - instead of just the regular forum members. It would be sad to see OZ lose players just because of monthly/weekly XP resets.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
blusky said:
It would be sad to see OZ lose players just because of monthly/weekly XP resets.
Exactly right blusk, we struggle for numbers enough as it is, I wouldn't want people to connect and see they have 0 xp and !RQ.

Don't rock the boat man.

Trigger Happy

I thought we actually had the one month reset already happening...I remember BR saying to me earlier about a script that ran monthly to reset XP.
Either way, I think one month is probably best, if people don't like it then we can revert to a backup of which I am sure BR will take before resetting the first time :p

Cheers

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
I thought we actually had the one month reset already happening...I remember BR saying to me earlier about a script that ran monthly to reset XP.
Either way, I think one month is probably best, if people don't like it then we can revert to a backup of which I am sure BR will take before resetting the first time :p

Cheers
I won't be inputting any more suggestions just yet to see some more info all of this is great to see opinions/ideas. The Script I referred to I believe was for VSP stats. Not for the server. However if you are AFK for 2 months it resets your XP, to keep the Xp save clean, otherwise imagine the amount of entries it would have. Especially with players who reset etkey's quite often. :)

i0nwr1t3r

Waste of time imo , just be sure !resetmyxp cmd is viewable from the !help cmd on the PUB server.

XP save is supposed to be a reward for regulars who frequent OZ as far as I see it , I don't see any benefit to making it easier on ppl you know who are most likely running new ET keys to get a high k/d with a new PRW to avoid shuffles affecting them or pro players (who benefit from this the most imo)who want to go on a pub server & carve it up so to speak.

If you haven't been on in 2 months , well then yeah np's reset the individuals xp , but otherwise I believe it should be a personal decision , not necessarily one enforced server side.

As to on the VSP stats page , reset them fortnightly for individuals if they have not logged on to the server within the allotted time period if it can be done , no point in keeping stats on a players who played once & left.

Cheers

i0n

Mozzie

And also, for those that really want XP Reset, as iOn pointed out in TeamSpeak this afternoon, there is the Pro server