• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Gaming computer???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Train

The Admiral said:
[quote="G-Train":17txfdj9]
timewilltell said:
i would buy asus over samsung, i would definitely buy lg over samsung.
Rofl.

- a bazillion respect.
+1. Samsung > LG any day. ASUS > Samsung though, I'd probably agree with. Not that they compete in very many markets (Laptops + screens only?)[/quote:17txfdj9]

Um, but asus uses samsung panels? I sure as sheet wouldnt buy a holden with a ford motor in it!

Oh, and Cheekz - stfu kent!

nelots

G-Train said:
Um, but asus uses samsung panels? I sure as sheet wouldnt buy a holden with a ford motor in it!
Oh, and Cheekz - stfu kent!
Yes, Asus uses samsung panels and CMV panels for their budget stuff.

STFU G AND BUY YOUR GODDOMOT FOLDEN FALCODORE!!
DON'T MAKE ME POST THE PIC OF RIEWOLDT POSING NAKED WITH MONOGHAN!!! I THINK LASSIE MADE A CAMEO IN THE PIC TOO :flamer:

Death_Reincarnated

[attachment=2:hhnygt4x]TH1.jpg[/attachment:hhnygt4x]
[attachment=1:hhnygt4x]TH2.jpg[/attachment:hhnygt4x]
[attachment=0:hhnygt4x]TH3.jpg[/attachment:hhnygt4x]

Seriously nelots this is how much bobbla-derp (aka blerp) you have spun thus far

You may be loaded and have knowledge with sales but thats pretty much where you stand from my perspective. I'm still waiting for you to requote my arguments with some witty remarks and general sales knowledge in the electronics department...

As for waiting to buy several month old pc parts - just ask any IT/electronics expert and they will say its one of the best options to take. You also (still) fail to see that release of newer electronical consumer goods, in particular pc parts, happens very often in a year therefore even though a part may be several months old it still is quite high up in terms of performance and features. Add in the fact that there are several brands in the market only means that parts will drop in price quicker and the price you pay in terms of time being on the market follows an exponential decay curve. So really it does all boil down to personal choice and people tend to go overboard withotu realising they are usually wasting more money than they should - which sounds just like you nelots; care to call me a liar for assuming this?

A wise man once said - Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.

Attachments

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
DUDE...Just listen to yourself...look at the bolded text in your quote. There is so much fail in there its not even worth saying anything else besides /FFF. But just to make sure that you dont confuse reality with dreams. A perfect condition in such a case would suggest that PC parts be at constant and seriously low temperature (including the PSU) while operating at prolonged time. You seriously going to argue that in a real case scenario that PSU can generate 1440W?! Plus they say 'max power output' without definitively quaoting it to be either RMS or PMPO with(out) efficiencies taken into account. This is why I said it a money grabbing value put out so the consumer thinks OMG I HAZ MORE POWER...I WILL OWNZ YOU NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
Am I typing it wrong or is it that hard for you to comprehend my posts?
The capabilities of that PSU is 1440W in perfect conditions but since consumers aren't able to run it in perfect conditions they marked the product as 1200W because that is the guaranteed maximum output under normal conditions.
However, the PSU is capable of producing anything between 1200W - 1440W at load that's why those kitguru guys you linked to were able to achieve 1321W with their testing.
Death_Reincarnated said:
Anyone can quote values of PMPO regardless of the device. It is most commonly found in audio devices but this does not mean it will stop anyone rating other devices in PMPO - PSU for PCs are a good example as they are required to be rated as RMS not PMPO. The reason why there are two values for wattage is basically due the electricity being three-phase generated. I wont go into more depth because there is no point. Just make sure that any electronics device with rates the wattage is in RMS not PMPO - Ive seen it happen before and not for speakers so just be careful.
What are you smoking? In the specs of PSU's they have two values, Maximum Output Capacity which relates to the capability in perfect conditions and Output Capacity which is the guaranteed output with efficiency and operational conditions factored in.
Who are you trying to kid anyway, all this RMS, PMPO and Square-root 'lingo,' I for one know that you use those terms just to sound smart. Although I dropped out of school at year 10, I'm not fooled with all this 'technical' trickery so try harder next time and use more complex terminology and formulas.
Death_Reincarnated said:
As for grabbing a 800W PSU which really requires 650-750W - you still fail to see the logic behind this. I will explain it inthe most simplest ways possible ok: just because the PSU is rated to give out max 800W DOES NOT mean you will constantly use 800W. Heck you may not even get to 700W but its a safe point plus if you want to upgrade your PC by (say) installing dual GPUs then you already have the power supply for this setup.
The specs of the computer required something like a 500W PSU to run at load, 650W - 750W PSU is sufficient enough to run the box with a safe buffer factored in. So suggesting to purchase a 800W unit is just overkill as I mentioned previously.
Death_Reincarnated said:
He did mention he made the mistake of buying a GPU too early since he overpaid and could have waited a while. You really do overpay for electronics items at their early release - and there is nothing wrong with bargain deals, which im sure you have come across at some time, or are you so much loaded you dont wait for anything and just grab it the moment it comes out?
Did he also make a mistake by calling people who purchased top end hardware stupid too because if he didn't then your comment is pointless.
As for being loaded, nah, I have to starve myself for months to purchase my top end gear.......
Death_Reincarnated said:
Formula wrong, which one? Oh and I did suggest what PSU in terms of wattage would be suitable based on the specs you have.
timewilltell said:
pmpo has nothing to do with this, this is not audio.
Having a hard time understanding his posts as well?
You made a suggestion based on my specs?
Death_Reincarnated said:
Iposted this before...
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E-Pro ($195)
CPU: Core i5-650 (3.2GHz) (2x CPU) ($193)
RAM: 4G Kit ddr3 2000 Kingston T1 ($125)
GPU: 1GB GTX460 ASUS ($217)
PSU: Coolermaster GX Power (650W) ($109)
Yeah, you really based it on my specs, either way 800W is overkill and looks like you agree too since you opted for a 650W PSU.
Death_Reincarnated said:
If youre NOT in the field and have no technical knowledge of this topic then why do you persist on giving your opinion and bluntly suggesting that my and timewilltell's information wrong every chance you get?
You're posting advice in a gaming forum not an ELECTRICIANS FORUM so get a clue before posting your 'lingo.'
Death_Reincarnated said:
triggerhawk=trigger happy? If that is the case then he pretty much summed up all of our views, not just yours; so dont bother getting on a high horse.
Trigger Happy said:
The point butz is making
Notice how he mentioned our names in his post, oh wait he only mentions one person......
So yes he summed up all 'our' views.
Death_Reincarnated said:
LOL at your statement about relatively cheap flat screens at the time of their release. I really dont know where to begin but here goes:
1) New items offer new technology with new features which equates to being priced way higher than a standard item. Best comparison is between plasma and LCD/LED technology. On average you pay around 1K less for plasmas than their counterparts - in some instances even less. This however does not make it relatively cheap if you compare what features are available and more so for PC parts which newer ones come out more often than any other electronics devices, thus logically speaking allowing to wait that little bit longer meaning you will safe money and still obtain an item with relatively large ammount of features. New items are always overpriced just because technology allows for more features but you have to ask yourself - do you really require those features or am I overpaying at this stage.
Oh, you got me there man, good work because we all know LCD/LED screens came out before Plasma screens.
Now back in reality, the first generation flat screens to come out onto the market were Plasma then LCD, now LED and within the next few years OLED.
Read my previous posts as I've mentioned this numerous times that new products cost more due to production costs.
Death_Reincarnated said:
2) There always needs to be suckers who will pay top $$$ just so they can have the best item possible - but wait a while and someone will buy a newer item for top $$$ and that item will be better than the previous persons item. Which sums up one thing perfectly - both people will overpay for an overpriced item. Which once again you have to ask yourself - is it worth it or should i wait.
So are you telling people to purchase hardware that is out of production since new models will always be released?
Death_Reincarnated said:
3)Items based on pricing or overpricing are basically due to supply and demand. The more people buy the lower the price, the less people buy the higher the price. Best example is price difference between primary and secondary batteries. Secondary batteries are far superior than primary in many ways but people dont buy them because of the price even though they would save you more money. If the supply and demand for them was higher it would drop down the price and it slowly happening.
You're kind of on the right track but it's more to do with manufacturers ability to mass produce an item than the buying thing. You can always argue without demand, they won't be producing the item, although that is true but in reality you must start at the beginning which is the manufacturing stage because market research will already determine the demands before the goods is set for the production line.
Do you even know the purpose of primary and secondary batteries? One isn't better than the other since they're made for different purposes.
Primary batteries are produced for the disposable market, mainly used for convenience and secondary batteries are fitted to reusable goods, long term consumer goods.
Anyone who fits their smoke detector, epirb or disposable camera with secondary batteries is stupid. Same goes for anyone who fits their mp3 player, mobile phones or laptops with primary batteries.
Death_Reincarnated said:
4) So to basically sup it up - items are overpriced at their initial stages being on the market and there are several factors which affect the price you pay but if you way it all up then the smartest choice you will make is not to buy top item too early or better yet buy something mid-high range and you will be still satisfied with it...well unless youre one of those rich guys who needs to have everything the best and doesnt necesseraly use all of the features besides showing it off to others. Meh I prefer to wait and not have to overpay - that way I can get two or more items for the same price if I were to pay for one item.
Yeah, everyone who buys top end hardware is just doing it to show off. You need to seriously get a clue about society.
Death_Reincarnated said:
Ahh but you see...you have forgotten that:
1) LED technology has been out for some time now and really its not something technologically unique which would overprice the item.
2) Both sharp and alienware (owned by dell) are really low key market penetrating compapies thus needing to lower their price so they can be competitive.
LED consumer goods was recently released, something like last quarter 2009, early 2010 and it's still the current technology for HDTV's.
Sharp is owned by Dell now? I've always thought it was a Japanese Multinational Corporation or did you mean Alienware is owned by Dell? if so then go back to school and learn english.
Sharp and Alienware are low key now? When did that happen?? Last I heard Sharp Aquos was market leader in the LCD/LED market and Alienware have always been recommended by the Republic of Gamers which by the way don't advise people on low key stuff.
So in D_R's world who are the market leaders in the LCD/LED market?
Death_Reincarnated said:
Keep an eye on the new Samsung series 9 LED (ua55c9000). Currently priced at 10K and the first model in this series was priced at 7K. Oh and why not compare the difference between series 7, 8 and 9. Specifically series 7 vs 8 and series 8 vs 9...and you will see what I mean by paying for an overpriced item in terms of features.
Samsung series 9 LED have always retailed around the $10k mark, when was it ever $7k or did you mistaken it for the old LCD model?
Do I really need to explain why you can't compare a series 7 with a series 8 and etc? isn't it obvious? bigger panels, added features/hardware and also newer generation panels sums up the price difference.
Death_Reincarnated said:
You may be loaded and have knowledge with sales but thats pretty much where you stand from my perspective. I'm still waiting for you to requote my arguments with some witty remarks and general sales knowledge in the electronics department...
As for waiting to buy several month old pc parts - just ask any IT/electronics expert and they will say its one of the best options to take. You also (still) fail to see that release of newer electronical consumer goods, in particular pc parts, happens very often in a year therefore even though a part may be several months old it still is quite high up in terms of performance and features. Add in the fact that there are several brands in the market only means that parts will drop in price quicker and the price you pay in terms of time being on the market follows an exponential decay curve. So really it does all boil down to personal choice and people tend to go overboard withotu realising they are usually wasting more money than they should - which sounds just like you nelots; care to call me a liar for assuming this?
Sorry, I have a life so my apologies for not replying sooner because replying to your posts is top priority!
Anyway, 'Electronical'? are you Sarah Palin? inventing new words...... then again it kind of makes sense since you two have something in common.........
CAN YOU SEE SOVIET RUSSIA FROM YOUR BACKYARD TOO???
As for IT/Electronics experts advising based on hardware release dates, I'd say they're not experts if thats their advice.
True experts will advise clients based on system requirements and budget confinements so I guess your circle of experts aren't experts at all.
As for wasting money, people who can afford top end hardware don't care about the monetary aspect of their purchase so your view is pointless.
People who buy top end and feel ripped off months later have really purchased above their means and are as timewilltell says STUPID.
So in conclusion, you're not a liar but just a stupid kid. THE END.

The Admiral

Ffs guys. I liked the funny pics, not the wall of text. Only you ex-OGN guys are going to read that bs wall of text nelots just posted. I liked this thread until the posts started approaching novel length. Please kindly keep it under 800 words to a post. Even then, only BR should be posting crap that long, and only after he's run it through Firefox spell check, and some grammar nazis.

Sisibouri

lmao its like talkin too a 10 year old, get over ya self nelots!!!

you are just being an absolute twat mate, but then again that does not surprise me you always have been!!
;>

do a bit of learning then come back:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardwar ... ction.html

don't forget to read the topic at link above first, you could probably try wiki even, as that seems to be your thing.

Trigger Happy

That link basically says what I said earlier, just to a more specific degree. Heck they even gave the same link to calculate the power needed!
For those that can't be bothered, they recommend to add 30% above the needed peak load to give a buffer for temperature conditions etc etc.
I personally would say that in 4 years (it was posted in 2006) that things have been upgraded a little bit and that testing is done in more realistic conditions. They didn't really mention where they got their facts from and all that jazz and I still think that 30% is overkill, but that is each to their own.

The problem right now between Butz and Death is the fact that they are arguing opinions and when that happens there is no winner. Butz is saying if you have the money, buy bigger and better. Death is saying that no matter what you should buy parts that are 3 months old. The way I see it, if you are passionate in something and you have the money to spend on it, buy bigger and better and then forget it. Otherwise buy within your budget and do a little research before buying. Doing the research will give you the best bang for your buck by finding the good specs on goods as well as where best to buy them. Don't go and buy brand new awesomeness parts if you have a budget for a whole computer because chances are that part will take up a significant portion and leave you with only one awesome aspect of the computer only to be brought down by the rest of the crappy parts.

I am not sure about this timewilltell guy, I still don't know if he actually knows what he is talking about or whether he is just a good googler. That link comes number 3 when you simply type "power supply information". Also the fact that it is 4 years old means that a lot of what it says is out of date. Furthermore, you still have not provided any reason to why you believe it takes 8W per 128mb of RAM. I could understand if it was a certain W per RAM slot but for the memory capacity to take more juice seems a little unrealistic to me. That being said, I never really bothered about looking into RAM and how it draws energy so I could be wrong, I would still love to see how you arrived at this conclusion though.

Cheers

nelots

I'm not saying buy bigger and better, I'm saying purchase top range hardware within your budget.
Note that almost all hardware that is released come out with budget, mid and top models.

So if you're in the market for a new part and your budget can only span the budget range then purchase the best in that range of budget hardware, same with the other range of hardware. Sure it may not be seen as value for money in the top end of the market but seriously, people who are financially viable to purchase top end gear don't care about money so the wasting money argument is pointless. If wasting money is an issue post purchase then you've obviously purchased above your means so yes that individual is STUPID.

Although D_R & timewilltell's advice to purchase 3months+ hardware may sound right for the top end of the market segment, it doesn't always scale down to the other mid and budget segments of the market and that is without factoring the consumers mentality on purchases.

Sisibouri

nelots said:
I'm not saying buy bigger and better, I'm saying purchase top range hardware within your budget.
Note that almost all hardware that is released come out with budget, mid and top models.

So if you're in the market for a new part and your budget can only span the budget range then purchase the best in that range of budget hardware, same with the other range of hardware. Sure it may not be seen as value for money in the top end of the market but seriously, people who are financially viable to purchase top end gear don't care about money so the wasting money argument is pointless. If wasting money is an issue post purchase then you've obviously purchased above your means so yes that individual is STUPID.

Although D_R & timewilltell's advice to purchase 3months+ hardware may sound right for the top end of the market segment, it doesn't always scale down to the other mid and budget segments of the market and that is without factoring the consumers mentality on purchases.
^^that is a better post.^^
@trigger: the ram calculation is more an absolute worst case scenario, conservatively allow 15w per gb with today's ram and you would have no issues.
only way to know for sure what the ram itself uses would be too know its voltage and current under full load then apply P=vi equation, too much effort there though :-).
also i am an electrician by trade and pc is a hobby, have also done electronics engineering but never did get around to finishing it (work commitments too high)

nelots

Trigger Happy said:
why you believe it takes 8W per 128mb of RAM.
timewilltell said:
@trigger: the ram calculation is more an absolute worst case scenario
Are you serious? 8W per 128mb of RAM......... What kind of RAM are you basing those figures off? ancient SDRAM because DDR3 wont be stable and most likely explode without fitting some heavy duty after market cooling system.

The most general way of figuring out the power consumption of DDR3 RAM that I've been told is the following:
Divide the total memory of your module by 128mb and then multiply that figure by the voltage specs of your RAM.

Example: 4GB DDR3 1.5V
4096 divide by 128 = 32
32 x 1.5 = 48W at load

To be realistic, you'll need to add an additional 20% on top for correction so it'll require at least 57.6W to run the 4GB DDR3 at load. I've used that and it works.
timewilltell you may be an electrician by trade but you sound more like a student or you're stuck in the past with all those links and ways of calculating things.
Points for effort I suppose.

Sisibouri

you know what, you are actually right for once, the 8w figure is for sdram hence absolute worst case scenario.
a lot of performance ram usually runs around 2v (1.7, 1.9, some even 2.3) as i explained 15w per gb is more realistic for ddr3, its also about the same as what you just said
i was just making a point and that was just off the top of my head at the time, i could not remember ddr2 or 3 "guide" which is all it is, spec sheets for most ram actually say like 1 or 2 watts per module but once again this is not full load and would likely only be at standby.

the links were simply a quick search on google, as i said old but theory is still correct.
as you don't seem to take my word for it or deaths, i figured i would show you another article saying much the same thing as we are saying!!

you do realize i said that like 3 pages ago don't you? lol i was actually wondering when you were going to pick it up, trigger beat ya too it though :lol:

not all ram is created equal and varies a fair bit in there voltage, current draw, ability to disperse heat so once again i went for worst case scenario, our work thing is: to be sure, to be sure, to be sure!

nelots

timewilltell said:
you know what, you are actually right for once, the 8w figure is for sdram hence absolute worst case scenario.
Worst case? more like you have no idea what you're talking about.
timewilltell said:
a lot of performance ram usually runs around 2v (1.7, 1.9, some even 2.3) as i explained 15w per gb is more realistic for ddr3, its also about the same as what you just said
i was just making a point and that was just off the top of my head at the time, i could not remember ddr2 or 3 "guide" which is all it is, spec sheets for most ram actually say like 1 or 2 watts per module but once again this is not full load and would likely only be at standby.
Where the hell do you pull all these random numbers from? DDR3 is rated by default to run off 1.5V, performance modules operate 1.65V. If you push DDR3 to consume 1.9V or above then it'll begin to suffer damage so your 1.7V - 1.9V figures maybe ok if extra cooling is fitted but 2V - 2.3V is just fail.
timewilltell said:
the links were simply a quick search on google, as i said old but theory is still correct.
as you don't seem to take my word for it or deaths, i figured i would show you another article saying much the same thing as we are saying!!
You two throw in random numbers and formulas into your posts and you link us to outdated information which in principle may be correct but doesn't apply to todays current hardware.
Yeah, I'm going to take both your words without question. QUICK TELL ME MORE INTERESTING INFORMATION and justify everything with random numbers/formulas and also end the post by saying "I'm an electrician by trade."
timewilltell said:
you do realize i said that like 3 pages ago don't you? lol i was actually wondering when you were going to pick it up, trigger beat ya too it though :lol:
That's because I didn't bother checking the link.
timewilltell said:
our work thing is: to be sure, to be sure, to be sure!
You should change your work thing to: Get a clue, get a clue, GET A CLUE!

Death_Reincarnated

nelots said:
Although I dropped out of school at year 10...THE END.
That pretty much sums it up.

Dude just please. You make some valid points based on knowledge on sales, basics in the electronics industry and wiki quotes but thats about it. Unlike you ive spend most of my highschool years time in the science/electronics and working with a mate who enjoys electronics even more than I do. Uni days have been more concentrated on material science and such but also did few electronics classes as well. So you dare to question my knoweldge where you were the one who dropped out of school at yr 10 level. Yes you may heave learned things through life but you fail too see that you are basing majority of what you have said on your personal life experiences without any sound educational knowledge at hand. I'm not saying you have been entirely wrong nelots but your ego and pride fail you to see that you are wrong at times.

I think triggs has summed it up quite well - yes it comes down to personal opinion to a cetain degree and yes both sides have made valid points but I'm not just giving my opinion solemly based on personal life experiences. I can requote what nelots said but it would fall to deaf ears. The arguments have been lost in translation since certain portions of words/sentences/paragraphs have been taken out of context and applied to situations whereby it does not meet the requirements initially stated - pointless really at this stage.

As for power consuption of RAM:

The 8W/128MB has been mentioned here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42917 ... onsumption) but it more reasonable for 15W per GB (http://www.pcpower.com/technology/power_usage/).
Here is some more reading to help you out. They too agree with an average of 15W per 1GB. http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardwar ... 89064.html

From what I remember and its also written in one of the above links; early versions of RAM modules used about a watt per rams' IC chip. The entire memory of a RAM module is split up based on number of IC chips and their megababit capacity, which ranges from 16 to 256Mbit in capacity (perhaps even 512Mbit), and the wattage usage does not increase based on doubling that of chips alone. Basically it makes sense that 8W is used on a 128MB ram BUT it does not mean that if you double the ram you double the wattage by taking this ratio into account. You need to obtain the wattage used based on how many chips you have on your RAM module rather than using the value of 8W/128MB ram.

@nelots your version of finding out the power usage seems to be somewhat weird/wrong. Firstly I don't know where you got that 128MB (or is is Mb?) value since a 4GB DDR3 ram module can have different chip configuration (due to each IC chips memory value) and its hard to say where you ripped that number from. Secondly the applied voltage is constant and yes DDR3 is based on a 1.5V supply but P=V*I and when you a running the ram sticks at peak you are drawing more current while the same voltage is supplied (it may even go up due to temperature changes) - so it is more important to take notice of the current supplied rather than voltage and so I am not sure why you use voltage to find out the power used by the RAM.

Either way it is hard to pin point the actual power usage of RAM since some people give values of over 100W while others say 15W per GB. I know that you can use RAM to its full capacity at one point and then hardly any therefore its hard to say what actual power usage value should be given. I honestly dont want to go too far with the technical mumbo jumbo as its not really useful at this time and will drag this on unneceseraly.

All I know is that IC chips in RAM modules use less wattage than they used to, the operating voltage of RAM modules is lower to due improvements in the silicon technology, PCB board design and downsizing of circutry but power consuption of RAMs has been overlooked and people are more worried about how much power their CPU/GPU uses since these values overshadow wattage values of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.