• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Led Zeppelin is not Heavy Metal!!!!

keith

-OZ-pancakefan said:
'Heavy Metal' like Priest, Sabbath and Maiden have always been called heavy metal and 'heavier' metal styles are known by subgenres and are not called 'heavy metal'

Yeah well my uncles are cooler than your uncles as one would have been Norman Kirk if he didn't die, and my current uncle played with Ray Columbus and the Invaders, has a gold record and all that bobbla, and he told me they were Classic/Hard Rock.

And with that;

/thread.
I have been quoted. Integrity rising.

Sunncaeks

-OZ-keith said:
[quote="-OZ-pancakefan":2gizne13]'Heavy Metal' like Priest, Sabbath and Maiden have always been called heavy metal and 'heavier' metal styles are known by subgenres and are not called 'heavy metal'

Yeah well my uncles are cooler than your uncles as one would have been Norman Kirk if he didn't die, and my current uncle played with Ray Columbus and the Invaders, has a gold record and all that bobbla, and he told me they were Classic/Hard Rock.

And with that;

/thread.
I have been quoted. Integrity rising.[/quote:2gizne13]

<3
Rofl.

Inglourious Basterd

IMO and Thousands of others, LED ZEPPELIN are HEAVY METAL ( obviously not all of there music is )...

They also played the Hard rock/Heavy Metal, blues rock and folk rock.

Saying Led Zep is not Heavy metal is like saying The Rolling Stones are not Blues. :D

waits for it.......

Sunncaeks

For Led Zep to be Heavy Metal, they'd have to maintained the same sound being the heavier sorts (what? Kashmere? etc) for a certain period of time, and not scattered throughout different albums.

i.e. Black Sabbath generally had those dual distorted guitars and heavy riffs in most of their songs, but included the odd acoustic folk-ish instrumental track. Traditional Heavy/Doom Metal.

With Led Zeppelin it's even more scattered with Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Folk and Blues Rock songs in each of the albums.

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-pancakefan said:
With Led Zeppelin it's even more scattered with Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Folk and Blues Rock songs in each of the albums.
And some.

With their heavy, guitar-driven sound, Led Zeppelin are regarded as one of the first heavy metal bands. However, the band's individualistic style draws from many sources and transcends any one genre. Their rock-infused interpretation of the blues and folk genres also incorporated rockabilly, reggae, soul, funk, classical, Celtic, Indian, Arabic, pop, Latin and country.

Led Zeppelin have been called the grandfathers of the "Heavy Metal" genre.

Led Zeppelin was the definitive heavy metal band. It wasn't just their crushingly loud interpretation of the blues -- it was how they incorporated mythology, mysticism, and a variety of other genres (most notably world music and British folk) -- into their sound. Led Zeppelin had mystique. They rarely gave interviews, since the music press detested the band. Consequently, the only connection the audience had with the band was through the records and the concerts. More than any other band, Led Zeppelin established the concept of album-oriented rock, refusing to release popular songs from their albums as singles. In doing so, they established the dominant format for heavy metal, as well as the genre's actual sound.

Facts about Led Zeppelin:

development of heavy metal, as discussed in: Encyclopedia Britannica: Arts & Entertainment: heavy metal

Mid-1960s British bands such as Cream, the Yardbirds, and the Jeff Beck Group, along with Jimi Hendrix, are generally credited with developing the heavier drums, bass, and distorted guitar sounds that differentiate heavy metal from other blues-based rock. The new sound was codified in the 1970s by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath with the release of Led Zeppelin II, Deep Purple in Rock, and Paranoid, respectively, which featured heavy riffs, distorted “power chords,” mystical lyrics, guitar and drum solos, and vocal styles that ranged from the wails of Zeppelin’s Robert Plant to the whines of Sabbath’s Ozzy Osbourne. By developing increasingly elaborate stage shows and touring incessantly throughout the 1970s to make up for their lack of radio airplay, bands such as Kiss, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, and Alice Cooper established an international fan base.

ETC, ETC, ETC................

Lestat

Inglourious Basterd said:
[quote="-OZ-pancakefan":3fkd8osd]With Led Zeppelin it's even more scattered with Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Folk and Blues Rock songs in each of the albums.
And some.

With their heavy, guitar-driven sound, Led Zeppelin are regarded as one of the first heavy metal bands. However, the band's individualistic style draws from many sources and transcends any one genre. Their rock-infused interpretation of the blues and folk genres also incorporated rockabilly, reggae, soul, funk, classical, Celtic, Indian, Arabic, pop, Latin and country.

Led Zeppelin have been called the grandfathers of the "Heavy Metal" genre.

Led Zeppelin was the definitive heavy metal band. It wasn't just their crushingly loud interpretation of the blues -- it was how they incorporated mythology, mysticism, and a variety of other genres (most notably world music and British folk) -- into their sound. Led Zeppelin had mystique. They rarely gave interviews, since the music press detested the band. Consequently, the only connection the audience had with the band was through the records and the concerts. More than any other band, Led Zeppelin established the concept of album-oriented rock, refusing to release popular songs from their albums as singles. In doing so, they established the dominant format for heavy metal, as well as the genre's actual sound.

Facts about Led Zeppelin:

development of heavy metal, as discussed in: Encyclopedia Britannica: Arts & Entertainment: heavy metal

Mid-1960s British bands such as Cream, the Yardbirds, and the Jeff Beck Group, along with Jimi Hendrix, are generally credited with developing the heavier drums, bass, and distorted guitar sounds that differentiate heavy metal from other blues-based rock. The new sound was codified in the 1970s by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath with the release of Led Zeppelin II, Deep Purple in Rock, and Paranoid, respectively, which featured heavy riffs, distorted “power chords,” mystical lyrics, guitar and drum solos, and vocal styles that ranged from the wails of Zeppelin’s Robert Plant to the whines of Sabbath’s Ozzy Osbourne. By developing increasingly elaborate stage shows and touring incessantly throughout the 1970s to make up for their lack of radio airplay, bands such as Kiss, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, and Alice Cooper established an international fan base.

ETC, ETC, ETC................[/quote:3fkd8osd]

I sir dub thee "King of COPY-N-PASTE"

Just because it is on the Internet does not sanctify it to be true (tagged as Encyclopedia Britannica or not) one thing you must learn is that the interwebs is 99.9% BS info.Too many people rely these days on the net to be "truth" i hear heaps of ppl say "ill just google the answer" one day they will google the wrong answer and end up dead.The only thing the net is good for is cross referencing.but to say a Wiki is fact ... lol ...

Joke :D

Led Zepplin were heavy metal back in the 70's 80's whatever, when it was created. Now-a-days in a more hardcore, heavy world they are classified as Hard Rock maybe even just plain Metal, similar to Steepenwolf and AC/DC and Deep Pruple who were classified as being metal in the 70's, but i wouldnt even call them metal in modern times.

Bands like Disturbed and other modern Metal bands are alot "heavier" than Led Zepplin, yet still arent heavy enough to be put in Heavy Metal section at JB HI-FI and Utopia Records.

nuff said?

Lestat

Joke =D said:
Led Zepplin were heavy metal back in the 70's 80's whatever, when it was created. Now-a-days in a more hardcore, heavy world they are classified as Hard Rock maybe even just plain Metal, similar to Steepenwolf and AC/DC and Deep Pruple who were classified as being metal in the 70's, but i wouldnt even call them metal in modern times.

Bands like Disturbed and other modern Metal bands are alot "heavier" than Led Zepplin, yet still arent heavy enough to be put in Heavy Metal section at JB HI-FI and Utopia Records.

nuff said?
Your 19... Nuff said .. you have NFI nor any Authority to speak on such a subject.And LED ZEP are HARD FKING ROCK!.. "Heavy Metal as it is known today" NEVER EXISTED in the 70's GET IT THRU your heads... the bands of that Era,If they had to be classed where "hard Rock" Heavy Metal came about with the likes of Megadeath,Metallica... the only Maybe heavy of the 70's would be Iron Maiden.

Joke :D

i was unable to tell what your argument was... if your saying Led Zep are not heavy metal, then my quote supports that argument?

Lestat

Joke =D said:
i was unable to tell what your argument was... if your saying Led Zep are not heavy metal, then my quote supports that argument?

hardly ...

Joke =D said:
Led Zepplin were heavy metal back in the 70's 80's whatever
so no you don't support. :p

Sunncaeks

Lestat said:
Megadeath
SHUN!!!!!

Lestat said:
... the only Maybe heavy of the 70's would be Iron Maiden.
Just saying... You're forgetting the likes of Judas Priest (formed in 1969), Black Sabbath (Also formed in 1969), Saxon (formed in 1977), Motörhead (formed in 1975), Running Wild (formed in 1976, but didn't officially release anything until the '80s), Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General and Trouble all formed in the late '70s and Pentagram also formed in 1971. Surely there's LOADS more bands I've missed out too.

Lestat

-OZ-pancakefan said:
Lestat said:
Megadeath
SHUN!!!!!

Lestat said:
... the only Maybe heavy of the 70's would be Iron Maiden.
Just saying... You're forgetting the likes of Judas Priest (formed in 1969), Black Sabbath (Also formed in 1969), Saxon (formed in 1977), Motörhead (formed in 1975), Running Wild (formed in 1976, but didn't officially release anything until the '80s), Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General and Trouble all formed in the late '70s and Pentagram also formed in 1971. Surely there's LOADS more bands I've missed out too.
Maybe so but in my mind .. Iron Maiden stood out ...Please state for the record how old u are lol....

Sunncaeks

Fair enough. The Number of the Beast is a pretty overrated album, imo. Killers pwns it. :D

I am 17, lol.

Lestat

-OZ-pancakefan said:
Fair enough. The Number of the Beast is a pretty overrated album, imo. Killers pwns it. :D

I am 17, lol.
well .. hum .. did you know your avatar is 3rd in google image search .. when you do "et oz clan" :p