• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Quoka or Rat

Rat or Quoka

• Total voters

Fraggle

Ok we are heading back from Perth, we stop to get fuel and use the facilities ( althought I had second thoughts when I saw this!!!)
I believe its a rat.... the guy at the servo was ADAMANT it was a Quoka!
Keep in mind we live in W/A and Rottnest Island is off the coast of W/A, Rotto is, as the crows fly, about 120km, give or take a few, from here!
What say you?

Attachments

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
I'm going with Quoka Rats are usually longer and not as fat. It also has smaller ears this creature and a shorter tail in proportion to its body than a rat usually.

Bullet-Bait

Couple of Questions Fraggle..
1. What's that thing trying to eat???
2. Was it on the mainland or Rotto??

Reason I ask is Rotto is the only known place of occupation for the Quokka, I can't remember ever hearing of them been seen on the mainland..
Also you quite often see at night on the roads little kangaroo like creatures about the size of a small rabbit and sometimes some unlucky ones that didn't quite make it to the other side :( But I'm unsure what they are...

Plus the nose on that thing is way too long to be a Quokka

EDIT: I believe you are looking at a Bilby Bandicoot

Bullet-Bait

Nah micky look at the pointy nose, It's not a Quokka and it's not a Rat

Correction to the Bilby Bandicoot, it could well be a Long-nosed Bandicoot

Long-nosed Bandicoot is the most common. They are a slender, medium-sized marsupial. It has a long pointed snout and pointed ears. Its fur is coarse and grey-brown with some white on its belly and limbs. Sometimes long-nosed bandicoots shelter in dense undergrowth or in drainpipes or other man-made objects.

Fraggle

Bullet-Bait said:
Couple of Questions Fraggle..
1. What's that thing trying to eat???
2. Was it on the mainland or Rotto??

Reason I ask is Rotto is the only known place of occupation for the Quokka, I can't remember ever hearing of them been seen on the mainland..
Also you quite often see at night on the roads little kangaroo like creatures about the size of a small rabbit and sometimes some unlucky ones that didn't quite make it to the other side :( But I'm unsure what they are...

Plus the nose on that thing is way too long to be a Quokka

EDIT: I believe you are looking at a Bilby Bandicoot

1. That is the rubbish bin, if i remember correctly there was some stale fries in there.
2. no this was taken at the petrol station in "Sawyers Valley" http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:en-au&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sawyers+valley+western+australia&fb=1&gl=au&ftid=0x2a32dd25bb340e01:0x76277ade8352d266&ei=IVGvS4v6I43SsgP77Nz2Cw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ8gEwAA

Re: Quoka or Rat
by -OZ-i0nwr1t3r » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 pm
Here's a webpage about rats (as pets?). http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm
I had a pet rat once named Bart (well it was actually my ex's but he wasnt looking after Bart properly so I "took" Bart off him and looked after him myself!)
They are smelly like mice but abit worse, well the males are anyways!!
I have never had a female so i dont know if they stink less!!

Bullet-Bait

-OZ-Fraggle said:
1. That is the rubbish bin, if i remember correctly there was some stale fries in there.
2. no this was taken at the petrol station in "Sawyers Valley" http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:en-au&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sawyers+valley+western+australia&fb=1&gl=au&ftid=0x2a32dd25bb340e01:0x76277ade8352d266&ei=IVGvS4v6I43SsgP77Nz2Cw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ8gEwAA[/quote] Then I'd go with the Bandicoot, Sawyers Valley is just a tad too far for it to be a Quokka. Plus the Photo matches the description of the Bandicoot. :) Just a few pictures to compare: [url=http://img98.imageshack.us/i/bandicoot.jpg/][img]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8084/bandicoot.jpg[/img]

Bullet-Bait

lol Fraggle.
IF it looks like a Bandicoot and it smells like a Bandicoot!!
Well then it's a BANDICOOT..
Mind you it doesn't look anything like "Crash Bandicoot" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Antagonist

yeah definitely a Bandicoot.. Rats as you should know fraggle have extremely large proud tails, that bandicoot's tail was quite small in comparison..

morbit

just to point something out, quokkas are found on the mainland but not common.

In the wild, its roaming is restricted to a very small range in the South-West of Western Australia. The Quokka has become rare, but remains a protected species on islands off the coast of that area, Bald Island, Rottnest Island, Garden Island and rarely Penguin Island. On Rottnest Island, it is common, The islands are free of foxes and cats. and occupies a variety of habitats ranging from semi-arid scrub to cultivated gardens.
pulled from the link i provided in last post

in saying that it would suggest that they can be found in that area, taking note it says is found off the
islands of that area
On Rottnest Island, it is common
once again though hard to say from the pics and it does look a lot like the bandicoot

nelots

-OZ-noobItUp said:
Did you pop in and say cheerio to Stern Hu?
Boy is that guy in a world of trouble.
Stern's a dumbass, taking bribes even though he was easily netting over $400k/yr....... stealing trade secrets was just the icing on the cake.
The 10'er he received was a slap on the wrist really so he got off pretty lightly for the offenses.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yer, the Chinese govt was saying something like he ripped them off by 165mill. 10 years is pretty light on I reckon, even though the papers are saying he was hard done by.

Also cheekz, out of interest, did you try to hit the oz forums while you were over there? Would be interesting to see if we were blacklisted behind the great firewall of china.