• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

SK Rule out the window

Death_Reincarnated

Antagonist said:
-OZ-matilda said:
Antagonist said:
... we find great humor in all getting on venty and giving OZ a dirty camp, its classic and makes et enjoyable.
There's the problem right there. Attitude.

Having said that, I think the sk rules are way too difficult to police and probably should be abolished.

However, I'm sure players like Antagonist know there's no better way of clearing out a server than camping weaker players at spawn points - which kinda spoils his enjoyment :?
LOL attitude.. we all at one stage or another have been camped by superior ppl or persons... it happens in EVERY SINGLE FPS GAME EVER!.. for ppl to simply wait for the opposing team to just walk out of spawn and do there thing before u can destroy them is propostuious..
i leave you with this...

Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with sk Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with sk! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a Regular ET player defending a good mate, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that OZ Admin room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed OZ team, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must let us sk!!!
Sif quote-rip that from South Park episode lol.

As for Sk weaker opponents...the circle of life but you gotta ask yourself why do it excessively....becauase you can? Surely you hated it when better players were doing it to you back in your noob days so whats the point of stuffing up the gameplay to those who you once were in their shoes??? There is a difference between playing the game and just being nasty becausse you can...and I have a feeling that if we e-bolish SK rules it will turn nasty...but im still F1 to e-bolish it just so I can fragg the SK guys :p

Antagonist

Antagonist said:
perhaps a trial of no heavy weapons/arty sk?
yanks seem pretty keen on this..
pretty sure i just summed it up...

@ death, its a 1st person shooting game in which you kill the opposition, im pretty sure they didnt design it to accommadate the "feelings" of lesser skilled players
simple solution... get better.

Hicksy

think antags post pretty much says the same thing ryan but yeh thats an idea

at least a little bit of compromise and discussion on the topic as opposed to the usual its my way or the highway lol

good stuff.

i would consider that one. what about the rest of yas? what yas think? can we try that?

no heavys but light weaps allowed?

Death_Reincarnated

@Antagonist Your still forgetting its a public server for majority of players with lesser skill than yoruself for example...sounds like the pro palyers come on here just so they can ownitup and fragg noobs with out any regards for others gameplay. I have no problem with SK because I can handle it...I enjoy the no-SK rule on GA because the playing field is much higher but when some of those players come on here, to a lower playing field, it makes you wonder are they here to get cheap frags...or to have fun? Surely getting cheap frags of noobs on a public server from constant SK does not make you good.

If someone likes constant SK to get fraggs why dont they do it on a much higher playing field? Reason why so many do it here (excessively) is becuase they can easily and for them its cheap thrills but for the majority of nooby players it justk f**k up the game. Sure they can learn from it but excessivley doing it does not want to make you play better...it deters you from the game.

Overall I would like SK to be abolished and agree on what Phat & Antagonist in ther above posts regarding shield. Im all F1 for trying it and wnt to see the outcome.

Overmars

ET Moderator
And turn off self-packing perhaps? Heavy weapons is usually easy enough to work around with timing/support, but a pack of decent medics is much harder to get through.

That said, OZ's focus is (and should continue to be) about the gameplay for the majority, not just the frags of the elite. ET>Pub< not ET>Pro<. It's a pub game server, not a scrim practice server.

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-Overmars said:
And turn off self-packing perhaps? Heavy weapons is usually easy enough to work around with timing/support, but a pack of decent medics is much harder to get through.
Turning off self-packing would stop most SK on the spot,those of you who dis-agree with that statement,when was the last time you saw a pack of engineers or c.ops SK in packs? Never>? ;)

Limiting ammo doesn't stop meds SK'ing,removing self-packing I suspect would in most cases as it removes sustained SK without a secondary med to revive.

Death_Reincarnated

Self packing might do the trick on most cases but there is still the needle and other medics medpacks. Better players will ALWAYS try to SK aspecially on a nooby/public server. 5-6sec invulnerability shield is enough IMO. On most maps you can easily get out of spawn and reach a "secure" point on the map.

I just dont want it to happen excessively because it DOES wreck the game for the noobs, then drives them away from playing it and soon after the server dies.

For some strange reason I have a feeling that ET players are less mentaly equiped to play this game these days....Internode days and prior to that had players not really QQ about getting SK and worked more as a team...where as now I see sides fail hard and try to be rambo all the time...even with no adren.

superMINGE

-OZ-RyAn said:
refering to blusky's post, if the sk rule is completely gone some of the maps are going to be a pain with heavy weps just blasting you as you come out of the spawn :(

But there is a solution XD we could have no spawn killing with heavy weps eg panzer morter and arty ONLY! but for smg sk is allowed for all the people who are good and have the urge to sk :)

so
No heavy weapons, panzer, morter, mg, and artillery in the sk boundery of the specific map,

SMG sk is allowed, im pretty sure this will work out better then completly getting rid of the sk rule!!
jesus christ BAGS NOT being the mod enforcing that one! Good idea in theory but that is going to lead to a lot of rages and mis-warns imo

superMINGE

i0nwr1t3r said:
-OZ-Overmars said:
Turning off self-packing would stop most SK on the spot,those of you who dis-agree with that statement,when was the last time you saw a pack of engineers or c.ops SK in packs? Never>? ;)

Limiting ammo doesn't stop meds SK'ing,removing self-packing I suspect would in most cases as it removes sustained SK without a secondary med to revive.
Spot on. Take away self packing and SK will decrease exponentially.

Overmars

ET Moderator
i0nwr1t3r said:
Exactly, the way it stands now, you get Penulti and Blusky SKing together one can survive long enough for the other to get back if you take one out. At least without self-packing you have some chance to take them out (with any kind of consistency) with a nade and followup, rather than just have them hide and pack* and then hit you again.

I know the other solution is to get as good as them, but I tried that and it hasn't worked as yet.

* Oh please, you do so, just be a man and admit it. :)

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-Overmars said:
i0nwr1t3r said:
Exactly, the way it stands now, you get Penulti and Blusky SKing together one can survive long enough for the other to get back if you take one out. At least without self-packing you have some chance to take them out (with any kind of consistency) with a nade and followup, rather than just have them hide and pack* and then hit you again.
Having played on a US clan server in the old days that disabled self-packing,SK was an infrequent event,but they did not allow a whole team to be one class either.

I know the other solution is to get as good as them, but I tried that and it hasn't worked as yet.
Me too,still working on it tho !!! :D :D :D

But the skill base of most US servers is probably greater because of volume of players on at any given time of day (ie. getting in the practice).(who's gaming or other servers).

Death_Reincarnated

Used to server hop alot with Phat a year or so ago. We hit up a few Asian server, then there was BBA server (very big and got a few of the guys with me to go there; phat, thompson, hicksy and few more) then I hit up a few german and euro server (good gaming there with no rules at all you could say)...found few USA servers as well. Overall the server i/we was on had very little rules...that said there were class restrictions and few minor general rules.

As for getting better against those better players....spec them, work in a team, learn the map, practise aisming and where you walk....and above all...dont rush through the map. I'm an attacker so naturally i push forward but I try to position myself at a vantage point if I can. ;) GL

Trigger Happy

Self packing restrictions will just get rid of the random spawn killers, such as me who only get up there once in a while :p. The likes of flekz and rose etc will easily be able to work in packs of two rambo meds and prawn people easier. Sometimes the only defense someone as against these players is running away to pack and come back :p. Either way, I think it would definitely make it more interesting to see self packing off, but I think you are deluded if you think it will stop SKing. It will just make it more prevalent who is actually able to work in pairs :p

Cheers

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
Self packing restrictions will just get rid of the random spawn killers, such as me who only get up there once in a while :p. The likes of flekz and rose etc will easily be able to work in packs of two rambo meds and prawn people easier. Sometimes the only defense someone as against these players is running away to pack and come back :p. Either way, I think it would definitely make it more interesting to see self packing off, but I think you are deluded if you think it will stop SKing. It will just make it more prevalent who is actually able to work in pairs :p

Cheers
Your right,it won't stop SK completely,but you will see a reduction as it's less appealing as your death rate increases (for the less skilled SK'ers)but the dedicated SK'ers will not be able to do it so effectively as is the case now without doing more hit & run if they lose secondary med.

I think you are deluded if you think it will stop SKing
No but it will make it easier for noobs to take out a lone-wolf med if they all try together.

You would be surprised at the number of players I see who won't leave the spawn because of roving packs of meds SK'ing & watching an entire team collapse because you have no back-up like blusky said earlier.

Teams will still get stacked no matter how you do it but the odds of clearing spawn & entering the rest of the map will improve.

But the best thing you can do is run a trial ,record the results & make your own findings,I think you'll be surprised. :D

arabidgypsy

hahaha @ above comments about taking out self healing will reduce camping.

Medics are the last class to worry about when camping is involved

i0nwr1t3r

nelots

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:

Cheers
Stop and think, whats more devastating.......... a rambo medic with limited ammo or a spawn camping fop with unlimited ammo + air/arty strikes?

i0nwr1t3r

nelots said:
-OZ-Trigger Happy said:

Cheers
Stop and think, whats more devastating.......... a rambo medic with limited ammo or a spawn camping fop with unlimited ammo + air/arty strikes?
You sir,clearly did not bother to check my stats! :p